Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We Finally Did it--Got Rid of That Dark Paneling!





Ever since I saw this fabric type wall that makes the basement look brighter at the Home and Flower Show about 4 or 5 years ago, I planned to get it for our basement. Our basement had paneling that is buckling and dark.

I hate to see what's behind it after all these years. When we first got the estimate for between $15,000 and $20,000 after seeing it at the Home and Flower Show, I was floored and pretty much decided we couldn't afford it so gave up on it until last year when my dad died and I sold his house. After buying a new KIA, I put the rest into our savings with $20,000 earmarked for those basement walls and ceiling I wanted. So, thanks to my dad, we are able to fix up our basement real nice. I think he'd be happy with the way we're using his money.

Here is what we found behind the paneling and the plaster ceiling:


Eww, it really looks ugly!


The kitchen sink pipe looks like it should be replaced! YIKES!


Finding this was a bit scary . . . a hornet's nest in the rafters!



This wiring looks really bad. It's a good thing we're doing this!




The good news is there wasn't the mold that we expected would be there and it will be very nice when it's all done.

The problem with remodeling is moving out all the furniture and not being able to use the room for awhile. After the walls and ceiling get done by Owen Corning Basement Systems, then we will put down the nature stone in the last part of our basement. We did it in sections because it's quite expensive. That means we'll be without our second TV for almost 3 weeks and there's no sense in moving the furniture back until after the floor gets done too.

To top it off, we are also getting new carpeting in our living room by basement systems. They said they would move the big furniture items for us with no extra charge so we agreed to let them do it. Our living room carpeting is probably at least 13 years old and it's faded and stained. I hope this can wait until after the basement floor gets done because we really need our TV!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really have a lot of upheaval going on in your house right now. Best to get it all done though before the new TV season starts. It sounds like it will be just lovely when all completed. I think your dad would be happy too - especially if you've unearthed some potential dangers hiding behind those basement walls. Good luck on your project and I look forward to seeing the new pics as it progresses.

Daisy said...

I cannot wait to see what it looks like when you are all done!

Anonymous said...

Wow big job you guys have on your hands I don't envy you. We need do do our basement also and I certainly dread it. Basements can be very expensive as far as paneling goes when I moved in with Bill he loved his, but it was so dark. He let me paint it at least and he was very happy with the cheery brightness. Good luck you guys.

Sara said...

Looks like a great plan. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Post a Comment