Thursday, December 17, 2009

Age Doesn't Matter and Mr. Jolly (Writer's Workshop)

I have to say this is my life motto: Age is mostly mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

All my life I tried to make the most out of each year and not wish away the time. Many kids try to look older, look forward to becoming teenagers but not me. Peter Pan was my role model--I didn't want to grow up. I enjoyed being a kid. But, time goes on and some things we just don't have control over.

As I got older, I realized that age didn't really matter all that much. I still felt good, still enjoyed life's simple pleasures and didn't have any major problems for the most part. I always did think age is just a number and never really understood what the big deal was about women not wanting to tell their real age. It never bothered me and still doesn't. Now I'm actually looking forward to getting older so I can retire in six years as I still try to enjoy each year I have.

For my 50th birthday, Gerard gave me the funniest gift and not only that, but had it delivered to my office! It was a huge clown-like man made with all different colored balloons that was 8 feet tall who I named Mr. Jolly! It was the talk of the office and people actually came by just to see it. (Picture will be posted later this afternoon--I have it at work and have to scan it in.) Naturally, I was very surprised and have to say this is the funniest gift I ever received! It was so big, I couldn't even take it home on the bus so it hung out in my cubicle for about three weeks. When I was finally told to take it home, I had to let some air out so it would fit on the bus.

I just saw a t-shirt in a catalog that I almost bought for myself that said, "Growing old is mandatory . . . Growing up is optional." I like that!

This post is in response to prompts "What is one of your life mottos?" and "What funny gift did you get?" Go participate or read more at Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Karen!! I think Mr. Jolly sounds like the best gift! Your hubby has a great sense of humor...and you as well b/c I can't imagine taking Mr. Jolly on public transportation w/out raising a few eyebrows...I hope you had fun w/that! I know I would have:)

I enjoy the simple things in life as well....morning coffee is the first of many in my day.
Wishing you a great day!

Miss. C said...

I LOVE IT!!! How fun!! I agree with you on the getting older thing! My grandma turned 70 this year and over the past three years we have watched her zipline through the junggle in Honduras, swim with stingrays in the Cayman Islands and ride (ok well sit on) a bull out west!! Life just gets better because you have more wisdom and are not afraid to chase after what you want!!

The Silver Age Sara said...

Karen,
I think older is so much better in so many ways. If you stay active that is. I can do so much more now and not worry about what people think. It's very liberating.
Love your Mr. Jolly gift.

Daisy said...

I am cracking up imagining you getting on the bus with a slightly deflated Mr. JollY!

Sandee said...

What Daisy said. Can't wait to see the picture. How fun. You and I are alike on that growing up thing. It's indeed optional.

Have a terrific day. :)

Jude said...

I'm grateful I've lived as long as I have and it's never bothered me to tell anyone my age. I have dreams of being like Sophia someday, old people get away with so much, love your Mr. Jolly.

Cajoh said...

Stopping by from Mamma Kat's…

I do agree that so many kids can't wait to get older. Then when you are older, you want to be a kid again. Reminds me of the phrase "Youth is wasted on the young"

AdriansCrazyLife said...

Mr. Jolly! How fun. I would love it if my husband sent me fun stuff like that. You have a good attitude. As I'm getting older, I'm trying to be a good sport about it too. Might as well, it's not like I've got a choice about it!

Sandee said...

I love it. What a great balloon Mr. Jolly. I was trying to figure out what it would look like, but I didn't even get close. How fun. :)

Amber Page Writes said...

I refuse to grow up. Well said!

BeadedTail said...

Mr. Jolly was a great present! I certainly agree that age is just a number. I don't feel my "number" and I hope I never do!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Love this.

And I love those silly balloons!

CJ said...

I like that motto, too.

It reminds me of my dad. He loved to watch cartoons. He would bring home comic books for us (Donald Duck, mostly) and had a hard time waiting for us to finish reading them, so he could read them, too. Twice a year he would take us to the local theater when they had a special ---17 cartoons and two feature films. Yes, he grew older, but never quite grew up.

SEO Company said...

I also agree with him. I certainly agree that age is just a number. I don't feel my "number" and I hope I never do!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

Angelia said...

How wonderful!! That's a great attitude. I can see that Mr. Jolly is enjoying his new home. What an adventure to get there. Lol. I feel the same way about age. This is a great post and really good writing. Happy SITS Saturday sharefest!!

ch said...

Great post! I totally agree with your motto!
I love the balloon man too. I picture you sitting on the bus with him, too funny!
Happy Saturday Sharefest!
Stop by my blog, I'm Christmas Caroling!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jolly looks a fun gift that will keep you smiling for a while!

I think that is a great motto!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!

Jennifer said...

Great post! I have a birthday coming up in 3 days and not really looking forward to it all that much. So reading this was great timing and you are right. Age is a state of mind! I hope I get a present as fun as Mr Jolly! Happy belated Birthday to you!

Unknown said...

Love Mr. Jolly! What a great gift. Thumbs up to your husband for his creativity!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest, Karen!

Post a Comment