Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Our Sweet Dog, Abby, Is Fighting For Her Life

Hi Daddy!  I'm so tired, really need to sleep.
Last night was a nightmare for us!  After a good day at work, Gerard left me the car at the bus stop so I wouldn't have to walk in the rain.  He and Abby welcomed me home at the bus stop and continued on their evening walk while I drove on home.  I had an uneasy feeling and prayed that they would both get home safely.  Well, that didn't happen!

I was upstairs feeding Spunky Doodle when my cell phone rang.and a lady told me my dog and husband were hurt three or four streets from our house.  She said I should come and I'd see all the police cars and flashing lights.  I just threw some food for Spunky on her table and hurried on down to throw some in Manny's bowl, then out the door I went.  I was so scared at what I'd find.

Two Rottweilers came running loose and attacked Abby really bad.  She had bites on her ear, neck, legs, abdomen and groin area and was all bloody but was conscious and could walk when I arrived.  Gerard was by the EMS truck screaming about his dog.  Gerard beat the dogs trying to get them off Abby but it was useless and they bit his left hand too.  He told me later that he felt so helpless, he tried to protect her and couldn't.  He called for help and it seemed like a long time before anyone came.  Some neighbors came and beat the dogs with sticks, one guy shot a gun in the air or at the ground to try to scare them off.  Finally they left her alone and fortunately the cops were able to catch the dogs and track down the owners. 

I walked Abby to our car and called to make sure Bartel's was still open (thank God for cell phones).  I was so relieved when they said one doctor was still there and I could bring her in.  They all know and love Abby too.  A nice policeman lifted Abby into the front seat of our car for me and another one brought Gerard to the hospital shortly after.  Once we got Abby admitted and the papers signed for surgery, we went to the hospital to get Gerard's hand looked at.

Fortunately, no bones were broken, but he had to get a tetanus shot, an x-ray, have his hand bandaged and in a contraption for a couple days.  He said it didn't hurt but I know that's because he was only thinking about Abby.  She was in surgery for a couple hours and the wonderful staff at Bartel's stayed way past their normal hours to help her.  The surgeon said she did well through surgery and was looking good and doing well but the first 72 hours are critical.  Any number of things could still go wrong so we would sure appreciated all the prayers we can get for our wonderful dog.

We stopped in to see her this morning, but were only allowed to stay ten minutes because she was on pain killers and needs her rest.  The doctor kept saying she was doing well and looking good but I sure think she looks very bad, certainly not good.  I don't know what dog he was looking at.

This is Abby looking good!
The animal warden told us the owners were cited for their dogs running loose and declared them dangerous and highly recommended that they be euthanized.  It's sad for them too and they did ask about Gerard and Abby.  The police and dog warden both said they are responsible for all the medical and vet bills that we will get so I do really hope they step up and do the right thing by paying them.  The estimate we got for Abby is around $2,000 but she is so worth it!  We miss her so much and are overcome with sadness but praying God will strengthen her, heal her and that she would be okay but I think it's going to take a long time for her to fully recover.

I know that God's will for us is to give thanks in everything, and I certainly do.  I am thankful Abby wasn't killed on the spot by those two dogs, thankful that Gerard had his cell phone with him and I had mine with our vet's number in the contacts, that we were able to take her to our own vet which is close by and for the wonderful doctors and technicians at Bartels.  I am also thankful that the police have pictures of everything to document the report, that they were able to impound the dogs and that the owners were found and cited, it's only right. 



Share this:

31 comments:

Sandee said...

I'm so sorry Karen. Abby and Gerard are in my prayers. What a horrible thing.

The owners of these dogs can pay your vet bill too. Make sure that happens.

Big healing hugs coming your way. :)

CATachresis said...

I am so sorry about this. An animal attacked like that and suffering too. It is beyond heartbreaking. I pray she will recover.

I do follow your blog, but don't often comment.

mountain woman said...

Karen, I am praying for you and Gerard and Abby. I hope the owners step up and do the right thing. Terrible what happened to you all but it is so encouraging she got through the night and hoping you have more good news later. I'm posting this on my FB fan page because everyone there is worried about you all.

A.Marie said...

OH my goodness....I came over here from Mountain Woman's FB page. I feel so bad for your doggy and I hope Abby makes a complete recovery. I shall keep all of you in my prayers!!!!!

flicka_sugar said...

So sorry to hear. I am a friend of Mountain Woman's and heard from her. I have been through near the same thing twice with local dogs here. Once I saved mine, the other, could not. I am sending my prayers your way. You have an advantage as you know the owners of these dogs. Since running loose they should be responsable for all medical bills, your and Abby's. Also believe pain and suffering. That was what Iwas told if we had been able to find the owners of the ones that killed my pom. Also for emotional, especially since y young child witnessed it. Best wishes for you all.

Daisy said...

I am so sorry such a terrible thing happened! Harley and I are purring our best for sweet Abby, and we hope Gerard's hand is better soon, too.

Mike Golch said...

I am glad that Gerald is Ok. it is sad that this happened to both him and Abby.Hugs and Prayers for all.The owners should pay for the medical bills for both abby and gerald at the very least.the sad thing is that the other dogs might be put to death,but they did attack Gerald and Abby what it that had been a child?

Ann in the UP said...

I am so sorry to hear about Abby and Gerard's terrifying walk! That is such an awful scenario, taking an innocent walk with a dog and being attacked.

I, too, am praying that all will turn out well, and that your dog makes a full recovery physically. I would think such an experience might make her fearful in the future. It sure would make me a nervous wreck!

Split Rock Ranch said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope that Abby and Gerard will recover completely. And I hope the owners of the dogs that attacked them step up and do the right thing. How horrible for them, as well, because the proper and safe thing for them to do at this point is have their dogs put down so this doesn't happen again. This happened years ago to my parents. A neighbor's daughter's dog attacked and killed their little toy poodle while my Dad watched helplessly. It was horrifying. You're all in my prayers.

BeadedTail said...

I've been praying for Abby since I heard about this last night. My heart breaks for what Gerard is going through too but he did the best he could to protect her and his actions saved her life. I pray she continues to get better soon and that Gerard heals up quickly too.

MarytheKay said...

Oh no! That is just so terrible!!! I am so sorry. I can't imagine how horrible it was for Gerard to feel helpless with 2 mean dogs attacking Abby like that. I am SO GLAD Abby wasn't killed, and Gerard wasn't hurt worse. Oh, I do hope the owners do the right thing by covering your bills. I also hope they either make SURE to keep their dogs are locked up at all times, or have them euthenized. I have NO PATIENCE at all with mean dogs.

MarytheKay said...

Also, I am saying a prayer for Abby right now. :-)

Karen and Gerard said...

We are very encouraged by all the support we have received and knowing that so many people are praying for our wonderful dog and us. I just talked to her dog trainer about having to postpone the rest of her classes. Gerard just got back from stopping by to see her and said they got her standing up for a little bit. She was sleeping peacfully when he was there.

Lin said...

Oh my gosh, Karen!! I'm so sorry for Abby, Gerard, and you! I am saying lots of prayers that she recovers quickly and comes home soon. I am also sending prayers that Gerard is okay too--he could have been just as easily hurt seriously as well.

Please, keep us posted and tell us if you need something. In the meantime, I'm sending love and prayers.

suzanneelizabeths.com said...

We'll keep praying for Gerard and Abby and we hope both are feeling better soon. Our hearts go out to you right now.

Sharkbytes said...

I've been following this on FB. Dogs are amazing in their abilities to recover from injuries, but she may be shy or or aggressive toward other dogs after this. My little Chips became aggressive after we were attacked twice. I hope Abby emerges as sweet as ever. And I'm so glad that Gerard isn't hurt badly.

Homestay Mama said...

Owners who own vicious dogs like that have no business letting them run loose. I'm sorry you all are having to go through this. Hopefully some good will come out of it all in the end.

Junk Drawer Kathy said...

God, Karen, I just can't believe this. I'm happy that Abby was up and moving, that much is progress. I shall pray very hard that she recovers fully and quicker than you think. I know this must have been a horrible day. Please tell Gerard I hope his hand heals fast, too. God bless all of you. I'm just so upset by this, I can't tell you.

Karen and Gerard said...

Thanks so much for all your support and prayers. God is definitely working in all of this and I too hope some good comes out of it. I am happy to say that after speaking with the owner of the other dogs, they are agreeable to cover all our bills and feel very bad that my husband and dog was hurt. It is sad for them as well, but they have decided to euthanize their one dog and have already found a new home outside of the city for their 10-month old puppy. They had no clue their dogs were even loose. They thought they were in their fenced in back yard but apparently the gate wasn't latched all the way and they got out. The latest report on Abby is that she got up on her own when they opened the door of the cage and is drinking water. Still hasn't started eating yet though. We will take some clothes tomorrow with our scent on them for her.

Anonymous said...

Hope you sweet girl pulls through!
Prayers & well wishes! Vicky

Sharkbytes said...

If you accept blogging awards, I've got one for you to pick up at http://myqualityday.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Karen---I am so sorry I did not read your post until right now!! What a horrible and scary time for you and Gerard and Abby. I am praying for Abby and for you guys that you can all make it through this and be able to smile on the other side. I emphasize with the other doggie owners---we never know what may happen, do we? It is always hard to understand that our beloved pets are also animals who have instincts that we can't understand. It sounds like they are doing what they feel they need to do and I am glad that they are helping with the bills also. Please know that I am lifting you all up and even them--as I am sure they have a lot of emotions right now too. Healing prayers for sweet Abby. Keep us posted. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened and feel badly for you, your dog, husband and the other dogs. When dogs get loose an owner definitely needs to be held responsible for any damages or injuries caused by their pets. Just a sad situation all the way around.

Sending warm wishes your way.

gallerydarrow said...

What a terrible and frightening ordeal. Why people keep aggressive dogs like that I'll never understand.

I hope in the end, all turns our well for poor Abby and your family.

Stephanie said...

How very scary :( I hope that Gerard and Abby both heal up quickly!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Dear Sweet Abby, I didn't know until I just read your other post. OMG poor Abby...that is so scary to think that she did nothing and this happened. Thank God your husband is ok as well, the poor thing had to have been terrified and he was so brave.
Praying that Abby makes a complete recovery and that your husband's hand will be ok.

ShannonW said...

I have added your family and your sweet dog to my prayer list.

Karen said...

I'm sorry this happened. I'm praying. Hugs for all of you.

bichonpawz said...

I came over from the Beaded Tail and I am so very sorry to hear about Gerard and Abby. What a frightening thing to have happen. We will be praying for you and your family...and Abby and hope that all will work out.
Jeanne...mama to Chloe and LadyBug

Memories for Life said...

How incredible scary! I'm glad everything is going to be okay in the end! Our pets are part of the family and when one of them hurts...we hurt as well! I hope Abby and Gerard both heal quickly!

I'm hopping over from BeadedTail's blog after seeing the reqest for prayers!

Mrs4444 said...

This is terrible, Karen! I hope the owners will follow through on their obligations (to you, as well as to their dogs). I'm so glad Gerard is okay. Off to read Abby's update post.

Post a Comment