Saturday, October 10, 2009

What's In YOUR Crockpot? (Writer's Workshop)


I always liked it when my mom used to cook dinner in the crockpot. I loved how the pork chops, roast beef with potatoes and carrots and some very meaty ribs turned out, so tender the meat would practically fall off the bone. That's why I kept the crockpot.

I fully intended to use this one day, but then I heard somewhere that it's dangerous to leave the crockpot plugged in while you aren't home. Duh, that's the whole purpose of using it, isn't it--to dump the stuff in it before you leave and then when you get home, the meal is ready? My mom would load it up before we went to church on Sunday mornings and then our meal was all ready to eat when we got home from church.

(Am I confusing this with a slow cooker? I think they are the same thing. Perhaps you who are more familiar with kitchen things to set me straight on this if they are two different things.)

Anyway, mine is still in the basement. I've now been married 11 years and have never used it once. Who knows, maybe one day I will give it a try. When I took this picture, I noticed I also have a portable mixer there too! I forgot I had that. (You may like to check out Spunky's adventure: "I'm Not Playing Around" on her blog about this.)

For those you are disappointed because you were hoping to find a good crockpot meal here, never fear! I have found the best cooking blog through SITS which has many different crockpot recipes: Visit Tried and True Cooking with Heidi and you won't be disappointed.

There are five questions in this Writer's Workshop. Check them out at Mama's Losin' It to see if there's any you would like to post about and join in.

Tweet Thi

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never heard that it's unsafe to leave your crockpot/slow-cooker (yes, they are the same thing) on while you are not home. The only safety issue I'm familiar with w/ slow cookers is not to start with frozen meat because even on high it will not come to temp fast enough to prevent bacteria from growing. OTOH, I would probably invest in a brand new crockpot, rather than using your mother's. Get a good slow-cooker cookbook (I highly recommend "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Beth Hensberger) so you know what your choices are and why you should make them. I love my slow cookers! I have three!

The Silver Age Sara said...

Gosh, I used to leave my crock pot plugged in all day on low and never gave it a thought. Just be sure there is enough liquid in it.

We use one all the time and I love the way the food tastes.

Kathy said...

I've always been home when crockpotting meals (yes, I just made up that word). I guess I'm worried about letting it plugged in with something cooking. But I supposed the worst thing that could happen is it gets too hot and everything inside burns. Can't start a fire, can it? I'd think the only fire hazard would be because the cord is plugged in, but i leave lots of things plugged in during the day. Although those things aren't actually turned on. Oh, geez. I got myself all in a tizzy here.

Nicolasa said...

We love our crock pot and use it a lot during the winter!

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I agree, I would rather work on a project by myself because then you don't have to count on anyone!

BeadedTail said...

Maybe there was trouble with older models but I've nevef heard of any trouble leaving crock pots on either. We use ours quite a bit, especially in the winter. It's just hard to smell the yummy scents coming from it all day!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Allison: Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll certainly keep it in mind should I ever decide to actually start crockpotting (I like that word, Kathy!)

Mountain Woman? Oh, you have to put liquid in it? I definitely better get that cookbook before I try it!

Kathy: You are so funny! I guess if you use your pot all the time and so far it hasn't started a fire, it must be okay. Course, there's always a first time for everything. Sorry I got you in a tizzy! Enjoy your crockpotting!

Nicolasa: I know my mom used it often too. I think I'll add it on my "Things to do when I Retire List."

Beaded Tail: I would love our house to have some yummy scent smell! When Abby made a throw up the other day in the dining room, it really smelled bad!

Post a Comment