Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Got Writer's Block--There Is Help!


Sometimes I've read blog posts about people just getting writer's block and not having anything to post about. Sometimes I've experienced this myself as well, but I found there is help at Mama Kat's Writers Workshop. She lists five topics from which to choose that you can blog about and then come back on Thursdays to add your link to Mr. Linky. She gets ideas for topics from reading others blogs and gives them credit for her inspiration. Here is another great way to find more blogs through her Mr. Linky because so many participate. I'm going to give it a try.

I chose an older topic for this first one:

The First Day Of Radiation


This being Breast Cancer Awareness Month and all, what better time to be going through treatment for breast cancer? Yesterday was my first radiation treatment. I am so glad that I do not need chemo and am really looking forward to starting these treatments. They do not take long and there really is no waiting. They actually treat me like a V.I.P. even to the point of giving me a special parking spot right by the door! I love it!

This first day took a little longer, just because it was the first time but usually I'll be in and out in just 15 minutes. The best part is that it is painless. All I have to do is lay still on the table while the technicians aim and fire the radiation rays into my breast. I got little dots tattooed on me that helps them make sure I'm in the same position each time by lining them up with their laser light. I was impressed by that.

I have to go for 33 treatments every weekday which I thought were going to be scheduled at 10:00 a.m. thinking that I may be able to start back to work half days that way. When I went though for my first treatment, I was told my appointments would be at 2:15 p.m. This is not what I was told originally and it bummed me out a bit. They said they'll put me on a waiting list to move up my time if something opens up in the morning. I am off until October 19 so that will give me some time to see how I'll feel after the treatments and check out the bus schedule to see what time I could get to work. If I'm still stuck with the 2:15 time, I guess I could work mornings instead but my attorney generally doesn't come in until 10:30 or later. I'm sure he'd rather have me there in the afternoons. We'll just have to wait and see.

I will definitely miss all my blogging time once I start back to work, but that's life. I need the job because unfortunately, retirement for me is still a little over six years away.

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope things go well! Be strong and courageous! You'll be inmy prayers!

Anonymous said...

I hope things go well! Be strong and courageous! You'll be inmy prayers!

DayPhoto said...

Good luck! I'm praying that you do not have any problems with the radation.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

The Bumbles said...

My boss went through radiation treatments just like you back in the summer. He felt great throughout. His difficult time came once they were finished. I'm not knowledgeable enough about it all to offer any advice other than to listen to your medical staff and pay attention to when your body gets tired. And good luck in your fight.

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Thanks for all your prayers! I know everyone is different and am planning to return to work half days in two weeks. We'll see how it goes.

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm just so glad it's not painful for you. The good thing about going back to work as opposed to being retired is that paycheck and the chance for raises and also the other thing good about going back to work is that it means you are getting better and that's so important.
You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim said...

thanks for posting the link for writer's block. I'm going to give it a whirl.

Good luck with all your treatments. And just know that I'm sitting here in Canada thinking about you.

Post a Comment