Friday, October 9, 2009

7 Things I Learned This Week--Part 40


New Blogger Commenter Widget


This week I learned how to get a Blogger commenter widget for my blogs that shows a cumulative total for the last 500 posts! If you'd like one, I got it at www.bloggerplug-ins.org

Breast Cancer Odds


At Grugger's Way I learned that 1 in 8 women get breast cancer and some time during their lifetime.

CAT Scan


I had my first ever CAT scan last week which was no big deal. Monday, I saw this interesting video of an orangutan getting its annual examination at the Cleveland Metropark Zoo's veterinary clinic:
Visitors are allowed to walk through but every time we have, no animals were actually being examined. I liked watching this short video and thought you might too.

Bumpits


When visiting "A Brunette Making It One Day at A Time" I learned what bumpits are. I never even heard of them before but have seen them. I just didn't know that's what they are called. They are little plastic things that you hide in your hair to make it look poofier.

New Disclosure Rule by FTC


In the Book Blogs forum I learned about this new rule by the FTC regarding testimonials and endorsement of products by bloggers. We need to disclose if it's a paid endorsement or if it was a free product. Here is an excerpt from http://www.ftc.gov/
The revised Guides also add new examples to illustrate the long standing principle that “material connections” (sometimes payments or free products) between advertisers and endorsers – connections that consumers would not expect – must be disclosed. These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other “word-of-mouth” marketers. The revised Guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service.
So if you do book reviews and get the book for free from the author, that should be disclosed. (Our books that we review come from the library and no one pays us to review them.) Bloggers can be liable for up to an $11,000 fine for being caught promoting a product without disclosure that they were paid to endorse the product. So make sure whenever you are accepting blog opportunities that you are complying with these new FTC rules which will go into effect on December 1st 2009.

NFL blog


Through Blog Catalog I discovered a great football blog that is a collaborative effort which covers all the NFL games and chats about all the teams. It's called NFL Gridiron Gab. If you miss a game, want to discuss a game, this is a must read blog for football fans! In the left column under the "Sports Gab Network" separate links to blogs for each team are listed.

The Biggest Loser Training Tips


I watched "The Biggest Loser" this week and Jillian shared an eating tip: She said to substitute cauliflower for mashed potatoes and that it tastes about the same but is healthier. I never tried cauliflower but love mashed potatoes with corn. Can anyone confirm that it tastes like mashed potatoes?

Trainer Bob had two easy exercises that he recommended for people who sit all day at a desk to help strengthen their backs. One is called table top and the other is Supermans. For table top you get down on all fours and extend one arm and the opposite leg and hold for 30 seconds to a minute or so, then switch sides. Supermans are harder (at least for me). Lie on the floor on your stomach and lift your arms in front of your head and your legs as high as you can.

Click here for More Friday Fragments.


Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

8 comments:

Daisy said...

Daisy's 'mom' here:
We sometimes eat at a microbrewery. I usually ask that they replace the fries with their smashed cauliflower. It's really delicious! The texture is different than mashed potatoes though. And part of the reason I think it tastes so good is it probably has lots of butter and cheese and garlic in it.

mub said...

Smashed cauliflower is really good, but it does NOT taste like mashed potatoes... if you're hoping it will be just the same you'll be disappointed!

Thanks for posting that video clip, I hadn't even thought about how they'd do exams on animals like that. It was really interesting.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Interesting video...like mub, I hadn't even thought about how they do exams on animals like that... :)

I would think that smashed cauliflower would only taste like mashed potatoes if you inundate them with the same things some people inundate mashed potatoes with...you know, lots of butter, sour cream, garlic, etc...but I guess that would defeat the purpose of them being healthier, right? ;)

Happy FF! :)

Mrs4444 said...

I read about that disclosure law, and I think it's a good one.

Haven't tried the cauliflower/mashed potato idea, but I'm guessing it's good.

One in 8? Wow. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure if men were getting cancer at that rate, it would be cured by now.... However, maybe prostate cancer IS that common?

Have a great weekend, Karen :)

Unknown said...

I love learning new things too! Bob is awesome...so is Jillian she just has a potty mouth sometimes lol! Sorry you had to get a CAT scan though--I hope all is well!

The Silver Age Sara said...

I've been using the cumulative comments widget for a while. It's really fun if your blog has been around for a while.
Don't know about the new rules. It's not a bad thing but it sure seems hard to enforce. I don't do paid reviews so I'm not concerned.
Anyway, always love these posts.

Ms. Journ said...

Your site got's many informative sights and thoughts. I am following you too here....

Hope to see back then on my site. Keep on posting!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Daisy: I suppose it is the butter, cheese and garlic that makes the cauliflower taste better. Sort of defeats the purpose of eating it.

Mub & Cool Chick: Thanks for the heads up about the cauliflower NOT tasting like mashed potatoes. Glad you enjoyed the video of the Orangutan being examined. I thought it was interesting, but then I am an animal lover.

Cool Chick: Maybe if I put lots of corn on the cauliflower, I wouldn't notice the taste too much and I could pretend it was mashed potatoes?

Mrs 4444: I don't get paid for any recommendation posts either so it really doesn't affect me either. Just know some do so wanted to make them aware of it. Maybe there's no cure for Cancer but with today's technology, there sure is a lot they can do to get rid of it.

Kris: I like Jillian though because she "tells it like it is." Could do without her swearing though. Of the two, I really think she is the better trainer. For myself, I'd choose to work with her over Bob. I like to challenge myself and she certainly pushes harder than Bob does. The CAT scan was nothing--guess they just wanted a picture of my insides as a base point for reference.

Mountain Woman: I like the cumulative comments widget but wish it would work right! Still waiting to find one that shows the most popular posts based on number of comments automatically. The one I had screwed up and now I just do it manually.

Anne: Thanks for the nice remarks about my blog and for becoming a follower! I would love to have 100 followers by the end of the year, but that may be a bit ambitious.

Post a Comment