Friday, October 2, 2009

4 Things I Learned This Week--Part 39



Sleep Is Good


In Tuesday's CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER there was an article about building up your immune system to fight off colds by getting 8 hours of sleep a night. Does anyone do this? Read Get Your Sleep To Help Fight Off Colds that I posted earlier this week.

Breast Cancer Fighting Foods

At Get Moving with mountain Woman and Tahtimbo, I found this list of Cancer fighting foods that were listed in Shape Magazine that Mountain Woman shared: Artichokes, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Pomegranates, (Pomegranates have been shown in clinical trials to halt the spread and recurrence of cancer), Swiss Chard (use instead of spinach), Bok Choy, Tomatoes and Purple Grapes.

One thing mentioned was if we all ate our daily dose of 5 to 9 servings a day of fruit and veggies, there would be 200,000 fewer cancer deaths a year!

Take Along A Flashlight


Gerard learned this week that it's wise to bring along a flashlight on his morning walk with Abby because it's so dark early in the mornings now. Check out "Poor Gerard, It's All My Fault" on Abby's blog for details.

My Treatments


The good news is that I do not need Chemo and will start my radiation treatments on Tuesday, October 6.

Click here to find more Friday Fragment posts.

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

9 comments:

Daisy said...

You can get lights that you wear on your head with a headband from most sporting goods store for not too much moneys. Then you will have both hands free! Our dad wears one when he goes jogging after dark.

Kathy said...

I haven't had a full 8 hours of sleep in a long time. Usually it's only 7. I hope that's good enough!

Karen, I'm glad to hear NO CHEMO! What a blessing.

Sara Elizabeth said...

Sleep is good. Very good. When I am sick, getting sick, or feeling sick I sleep a lot. I lay down, put ear plugs in, and absolutely do not get up until my body tells me it is rested.

Thanks for the listed those fruits and veggies. I eat pretty much all of those except pomegranates. I have never had a pomegranates.

That is wonderful that you do not need chemo!

Happy FF!

Chris said...

I'm so glad to hear you won't be needing chemo treatments Karen. And those tips you picked up this week are good ones for everyone to implement to improve the immune system. The flashlight tip too. Have a good weekend

Caution/Lisa said...

No chemo is wonderful news!!!!

I guess I had better get to the store and buy some of those fruits and veggies since we have not one in our house right now.

mub said...

I'm glad to hear you won't need chemo, good luck with the radiation therapy.

I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, but I ought to toss in some of those other veggies too!

Mrs4444 said...

No chemo needed? That is AWESOME!! So glad to hear that. Dinner is on the grill as I type; it's red meat, but the rest of the meal is veggies, veggies, and veggies. I hope they cancel out the bad stuff :)

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm so glad you won't need chemo. Hurray!

Mamí♥Picture said...

Woo hoo!!!!
That is AWESOME NO CHEMO!
Blessings!

Post a Comment