Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day--Show You Care

For years neither of us had a sweetheart to share Valentine's Day with so when we finally found each other, Valentine's Day was a pretty big deal for us.  Gerard had lots of gifts planned for me and really nice cards.  I tried to find a good cards for him too but always felt it was more about the guy getting candy or something for the woman than it was about the woman getting something for her man.

Now, 15 years later, we still enjoy celebrating our love on Valentine's Day.  I'll bring out our hearts that sing "I Got You Babe," we'll buy a special treat of some sort and maybe go out to eat, spending the day together.  We still exchange cards and Gerard will buy me something.  This year though, we didn't take off work.  We got a cherry pie and Gerard has a gift for me and we exchanged cards.

bedroom closet with Gerard's clothes
My "gift" to Gerard is to let him have the bedroom closet.  One of the great things about our house is all the closet space we have.  Originally, we both shared the bedroom closet but most of Gerard's clothes were hung in the upstairs closets and basement closets.  He recently mentioned that he would like to have the bedroom closet which I thought was a reasonable request.  I had some blazers, dresses, and sweaters in it and all he had was some shirts.

Front closet with Karen's coats
Moved from Bedroom closet to computer room closet
Being the good wife that I am, I cheerfully moved my things around so he could have the bedroom closet.  Our front closet in the vestibule was pretty much empty so I moved my coats and jackets from the computer room closet to that one.  This made room for my dresses and blazers to be hung in the computer room closet which is right next to our bedroom and wallah!  My wonderful husband can have the bedroom closet with one exception:  my robes are still in there which he said was okay.

This is what a good marriage is all about--being kind to each other and listening and meeting the other's needs.  The gifts are all well and good and who doesn't like presents now and then, but the ever day love we share is what love is all about.  Happy Valentine's Day, honey!  LOVE YOU!  Which speaks of love louder to you--actions or gifts?

(50 cents per legitimate comment goes to Caroline's Kids Pet Rescue for February in honor of cat appreciation month!) Share this:

4 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

I think the kind things we do every day (and that includes closet rearranging) count for more than a present now and then. It sounds to me like you and Gerard both know how to show your appreciation for each other. Happy Valentine's day.

MarytheKay said...

This is so true! The kind actions speak very loudly. What a wonderful gift you gave Gerard!

BeadedTail said...

This is very true! Love is to be celebrated every day of the year, not just one day. It was nice of you to let Gerard have the bedroom closet and it probably meant a lot to him too.

Karen and Gerard said...

Gerard did appreciate this and switching my stuff around was no biggie.

I got a cute honey bear fruit bouquet from him and I ordered him a cute t-shirt he liked that says "I Saved My Best Friend" with dog paw prints all over it. I thought it was cute too.

Post a Comment