Monday, February 13, 2012

Burgers and Fries For Breakfast?

Breakfast at Denny's on snowy Saturday
We used to have a big buffet breakfast on Saturdays at Hometown Buffet but switched over to Denney's because Hometown Buffet raised their prices and we found that Denney's cost less and we would still be full. We got all you can eat buttermilk pancakes for $4. Some weeks we would get one "Build Your Own Grand Slam" and split it which was really cheap! They had some special pumpkin pancakes around Thanksgiving and now they have some hearty wheat pancakes with pecans and bananas.

Last week though, I made a poor choice and was still hungry. I chose from the Sr. menu and got one piece of French Toast, turkey bacon and a scrambled egg. This did not fill me up and I was wishing I went with the pancakes for $4 like Gerard had. When I saw what the people next to us were eating at 8 a.m. for breakfast, I couldn't believe it! There was a heavyset woman with two girls. All of the drank pop and the woman had a burger and fries, the girls had a big bowl of fried chicken and onion rings. It reminded me of the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" who had such bad eating habits before getting on the show.

This week I went with the pancakes--5 for $4!  Do you eat out for breakfast? What do you like to get? Would you get a burger and fries for breakfast?

(50 cents per legitimate comment goes to Caroline's Kids Pet Rescue for February in honor of cat appreciation month!) Share this:

9 comments:

Junk Drawer Kathy said...

We like going to a little cafe near here for a hearty breakfast sometimes. All the food is homemade on the premises. A little more expensive because of that, but so delicious!

That said, don't kill me when you find out I made myself a small cheeseburger for breakfast yesterday. I put it on my new favorite thing -- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish bread! The burger doesn't fit because it's round and the fish bread is, well, shaped like a fish. So you don't get much burger in the fin area. Where was I? Oh yeah. I would eat a burger for breakfast, but nothing like those other people had. I would be sick all day if I did!

Lin said...

Yuck. And what is that teaching the kids? You are right about the bad eating habits--I wonder if they are even aware of how bad that is for you?

After I got reflux, I really have to watch what I eat and how much. It's amazing how I feel after I eat too much or something I shouldn't--boy, do I pay for it! I feel sluggish and icky for a long time afterward. I mentioned this to my physical therapist one day and she summed it up perfectly--a lot of people have no idea how bad they feel all the time. If they changed their eating habits, they would. I think she is very right.

Alice said...

Some people say breakfast should be the biggest meal.

It sounds pretty good to me:)

Beth Ann said...

Breakfast is always a great meal out for us. We usually do a big breakfast and then only eat one other meal that day. I am a huge fan of veggie omelettes made with egg beaters . When we were in Ohio we started going to a local diner that had huge portions and low prices. I miss LuLu's already after being back in Iowa for only a week! Definitely a place we will return to!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I often skip breakfast because the smell of cooking food makes me very queasy in the morning. I love to eat breakfast out, however. I don't often get the chance because I have 4 kids.... !

Bill Lisleman said...

One of my favorite breakfast places is a locally owned place in town. They have great egg dishes. One favorite is eggs Benedict with spinach. Now I don't go but maybe once a month or so. Denny's is OK but I've been to one or two that were not run well. Honestly one of the best breakfasts is my wife's buttermilk pancakes with her homemade blueberry sauce.

Mike Golch said...

I doubt that I would bet a burger and frines for breakfast.Lunch that goes without saying.but for the first meal of the day.

BeadedTail said...

I'd eat breakfast for every meal but other meals don't belong in breakfast! Isn't that a rule? LOL

MarytheKay said...

We don't eat out much at breakfast--but I LOVE to! I usually get a fried egg, a piece of sausage--and my real treat--some hash browns. YUM. I never make hash browns at home, so that is a treat! Oh, and my dessert at breakfast? A piece of toast with jelly.

Now, I'm hungry!!

Post a Comment