Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday Sharing: Jelousy and Bread of Presence

In doing week two of the Beth Moore, David-Seeking a Heart Like His, here is a couple main points that stood out to me:

JEALOUSY

There is a big difference between being jealous of someone and being jealous for someone.  Jealousy is usually bad; however, there is such a thing as "righteous jealousy" such as is referred to in the following verses:

II Corinthians 11:2:  I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy.  I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him.
Joel 2:18: The LORD will be jealous of his land and take pity on his people.

Zechariah 11:4:  This is what the LORD Almighty says, "I am very jealous for Jerusalem and Zion."

Zechariah 8:2:  This is what the LORD Almighty says, "I am very jealous for Zion, I am burning with jealousy for her."
God is jealous on our behalf.  He is jealous for us to know the one true God.  He is jealous for us to be in posture of blessing.  He is jealous for us to be kept from the evil one.  He is jealous for us to be ready for our Bridegroom.  Jealousy for someone's best is of God.  Jealousy of someone's best is of the enemy. p. 43.
Saul was jealous of David, not for David and his jealousy led to his evil desire to kill David.

BREAD OF PRESENCE (I Samuel 21:1-9)

When David was on the run from Saul, he first went to Nob, to Ahimelech the priest.  David asked for five loaves of bread and a weapon but the only bread there was the holy bread (the bread of presence).
The bread of the Presence was placed before God as a reminder or symbol of the everlasting covenant.  The everlasting covenant symbolized by the bread of the Presence was a reminder of the pledge of God's presence to His people.  As He offered bread to David through Ahimelech the priest, I believe God pledged His presence to David throughout his exile.  pg. 53
Christ is the bread of God's presence to us.  He calls himself the "bread of life" in John 6:48.

I am enjoying this study but just chose a couple of the highlights to share here with you.  I highly recommend this one.

I thought it was cool that the only weapon there was Goliath's sword that the priest gave to David.  I'm sure it was a reminder how God had helped him kill Goliath.

Feel free to share a scripture highlight you came across last week in a comment or comment on this post.

Share this:

1 comments:

Sandee said...

I agree about the jealousy part. Spot on.

Have a blessed Sunday. :)

Post a Comment