Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Sharing: Friendship and Loving Others

This week as I was reading through I, II and II John as well as preparing for my Sunday School lesson on being a true friend, reading about David and Jonathan's example of good friends (I Kings 18-20), it seemed I was bombarded with the fact that if we say we love God, we will also love others.

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar:  for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?  And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. --I John 4:20-21 (KJV)

Finally, I reviewed the memory passage for this unit which is filled with commands as to how to treat people found in Romans 12:9-14, 21 which says:

Love must be sincere.  Hate what is evil, cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.  Honor one another above yourselves.  Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Share with God's people who are in need.  Practice hospitality.  Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:15-20 contain even more ways to relate with others that I read as well, but I guess the ones writing the material thought the above passage was long enough to try to get kids to memorize.  

 Jesus says in John 15:14 that "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you."  (KJV)

Finally, I came across these two verses from Jude 1:2, 21 this week:

I pray that God will greatly bless you with kindness, peace and love!  And keep in step with God's love, as you wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to show how kind He is by giving you eternal life. (contemporary English version)
I had a great feast last week on the word and feel as though I will be immersed in God's Word for the upcoming months.  I learn so much when I teach others!   Looking forward not only teaching Sunday School again, but also a Beth Moore study on "A Heart Like David's" and reading another Karol Ladd book, A Woman's Passionate Pursuit of God.



Share this:

1 comments:

Sandee said...

Have a blessed Labor Day and enjoy your week off. :)

Post a Comment