Thursday, December 6, 2012

What I Learned In College (Writer's Workshop)

image:  allfree-clip art

I attended college six years. The first four I received my B.S. degree in Secretarial Administration from what was then Dyke College in downtown Cleveland. About ten years later, I decided to go back to get my teaching certificate for grades 7-12 to teach business and physical education. After the first year at Malone, I gave up on the physical education part and transferred to Baldwin Wallace to pursue my business teaching certificate which I did get.

Of course I learned a lot of things but I must say my favorite courses were: Racquetball, Creative Movement (square dancing and folk dancing), and Psychology classes which I found very interesting, especially psychology of personality and psychology of coaching.

I liked racquetball because not only was it good exercise, but it also allowed me to give my brain a rest. The only thing on my mind when I played was paying attention to that ball whizzing past me and bouncing off the walls. It is just a very fast-paced fun game. Unfortunately, I think I only played once since.

Not being a dancer at all, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how much fun the square dancing and folk dancing was. Again, it was good exercise and was a nice break from studying.

I enjoyed my time living on campus at Malone best out of the colleges I attended. From Dyke, I did learn how to play Pinochle, among other things. Most of the courses were boring to me.

So, what's something you learned in college?


This was inspired by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: Something You Learned In College.  Another prompt this week was to answer the question, "What was the last thing you bought?"  See my previous post this week about my husband's birthday--"60 Cheers for 60 Years" to see--the last thing was the big cookie.


Share this:

5 comments:

Kim @ This Belle Rocks said...

Nice to meet you; just surfed in from the writer's workshop. Believe it or not, I learned how to use the internet in college! My second go-round in college, anyway. I put off going online for as long as I possibly could (this was the late 90s), but once I got connected, I haven't been longer than a few days without internet. Wow.

Sandee said...

I learned a lot in college too, but not as fun as this. Good for you to give your mind a break. I like that.

Have a terrific day. :)

Jackie said...

I learned that I too love Psychology and also Sociology very much!

I also learned in design class how to draw a picture with my eyes closed. You had to feel the object and do the best you could to draw it.

After about two hundred times one Geranium plant turned out somewhat recognizable.

I hope you have a great day!:-)

carol daniels said...

Fun things to like about college! I enjoyed my dancing class, too.

Hard to believe, but when I went back to college (15 years after high school), it was in 1990. That was the first time I ever used a computer!

Madamdreamweaver said...

Good college story. I did square dancing once. Quite fun.

Post a Comment