Thursday, January 12, 2012

Accepting a Challenge


I am so excited about starting a new Bible Study at church with other women, going through James Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore.  This study gives 5 different level options so you can choose how much you want to put into it without feeling guilty. When I first got the book and looked through it, one of the first things I noticed was that part of this study involves memorizing the entire book of James (only five chapters, but still).  I have never memorized an entire book in my life!

My first reaction was "Yeah, right, no way.--you got to be kidding me!"  We have a very motivational, upbeat leader in Elena, our Pastor's wife, who gave us a little pep talk. She read my mind! She actually said out loud what I was thinking which got my attention. By the next morning, I found myself eager to take on this challenge.  Yes, folks, eager!  We are looking at a 5-month time frame with short term goals of memorizing one chapter a month.

Here are the reasons I decided to do it:
  1. It's included in the study and I want to get the most out of my $15 investment.
  2. It's something I've never done before.
  3. I read a lot of books so by memorizing God's Word, it will be in my mind more which is a good thing.
  4. The book of James is one of my favorites.
  5. I will have others doing it with me so we can nag encourage one another.
  6. As Elena pointed out, God can help me do it!
  7. I've got nothing to lose by trying so I'm going to give it a shot and have updated my New Year's Resolutions to include memorizing the book of James.

Just to help me keep on track, I'm posting my verse that I am memorizing each day on this blog at the top. Perhaps you would like to join me in this? Yeah, right?

Share this:

6 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Good for you! We are cheering you on. We are doing Breaking Free by Beth Moore and we have verses to memorize, too.

I wish you well. Our pastor suggested to me that I record my own voice saying the verses and play it back at times to reinforce my learning.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

My kids memorized the book of James and 1 John for school, as well as long portions of other scriptures. YOU CAN DO IT! :) Memorizing gets easier with practice, so hang in there!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Won't join in but will pray for your success!

Pam said...

Wow, that's an awesome goal! Good for you. I wish you the best!

Mountain Woman said...

Karen, How wonderful and inspiring you are. I can't wait to follow your progress!

MarytheKay said...

Wow! I've never memorized a book in the Bible, either. Hmm, you've got me thinking... I am going to check out this Bible study. I really love Beth Moore studies. Thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment