Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Strange Sunday

Change Of Plans

Normally Sunday is a nice day of rest. After church we read, walk the dog, read blogs, maybe write some posts to schedule for the week. Sometimes we’ll watch a little TV. Last Sunday I had planned to have my Sunday School class over for a little party but when only two were coming and one of them had to leave an hour early, I decided it would be best to reschedule.

I Hate Tax Time

My desk getting tax stuff sorted.
That blue tax organizer that I need to complete for our accountant had been sitting on my desk for about three weeks now so I thought this would be a good time to dive in and start on it since I had a few hours free that I hadn’t planned on. Gerard went to the gym and I worked on our taxes for two and a half hours, and still wasn’t done but decided that was enough for one day. Then we watched a TV show and read for a bit. It felt nice to have some down time together.

Computer Time Cut Short And Abby Goes Wild

After supper, I went on the computer and around 8 p.m. our power went off. Apparently the ice storm knocked down some wires so with no power, we just went to bed (yes, at 8 o’clock). I couldn’t sleep though, not because it was so early, but because our dog, Abby Dabby Doo was acting very strange. She came up on the bed with us but would not settle down. First she laid between us with her head by mine. Naturally I pet her. Then a little while later, she climbed on top of me! This is almost a 40 lb. dog—not a little thing. Spunky was laying nicely on the edge of the bed next to me. Abby just kept moving around and would not settle down and I kept petting her. Spunky finally had enough and left to find a quieter place to sleep. Abby’s never acted like this before and I was beginning to wonder if I was dying or something. I’ve read that dog’s know when someone is dying. It was very strange. I am glad to report that I am still alive so it wasn’t that. I really think she sensed something was wrong though and didn’t know what to do.

Gerard Showers At 2:40 A.M.

I did finally get to sleep but woke up around 2 a.m. and saw the power had come back on. We have a digital clock with big numbers that I can see from the bed without my glasses and it was flashing. I got up to sign out of Facebook and Twitter because I was still logged on from when the power went out. Gerard thought it was morning because I normally get up a little before him to go on the computer and our clock was flashing 4:15 which is the time we sometimes get up at. I heard the shower going and went to ask him if he knew it was only 2:40 a.m. I told him I hadn’t reset the clock and reminded him the power had been off. Then I reset the clock and he came back to bed. By that time Abby was off the bed so we slept peacefully the rest of the night.

Back To Normal

Sometimes things just don’t go as we plan and this day is a perfect example of that! We were lucky our power was only off a few hours. Others were without power into Monday too. At least we slept very well Monday night—Abby didn’t come on the bed!
Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard


Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness, I don't know how you handle a 40-lb dog with you in the bed, ugh!!! I would never get any sleep. And honestly, the smell of dogs drives me bananas... hahha.

I don't like weird nights like that. I always feel out of sorts later.

Sharkbytes said...

Glad to hear that you survived Abby's concern!

BeadedTail said...

Glad you finished getting your taxes together! Also glad everything was okay with you and Abby too. Sometimes dogs do act strange which always makes me nervous because I don't know if something wrong with them or us. Sadie doesn't sleep on our bed though because she takes up too much room! She's 4 feet long (not counting her tail) and 2 1/2 ft tall so we'd need a king size bed!

Post a Comment