Friday, May 1, 2020

Park and Shop 1960 Game

Park and Shop is a game I remembered playing from my childhood that I enjoyed.  Unfortunately, it got thrown away at some point, but I recently purchased a used one on Ebay.  It's a game that always changes because although the goal is the same, cards change your route from game to game and just like in real life, things come up that change your plans.  There are two versions, one where you just complete your shopping and get back home first to win, the other you have to use play money to make purchases and you earn points for accomplishing certain things.  We played the version without the money which is simpler, but I lost all the games! 

You get yellow cards that tell you what stores to shop at and you plan your route.  You get a red parking ticket when you park with another stop you must make on your way home.  If you land on the gray spaces, you have to pick a pedestrian card if walking, or a motorist card if driving and follow the instructions.  These may be good or bad, but usually they pull you off course.  When driving, you only use one die because cars have one engine and when walking, two dice because a person has two feet.  (This seems backwards though, since you can travel faster in the car than you can when walking.  I'd like to try changing this next time we play and see how it works.  The way the board is laid out, the parking lots are all close to the homes with all the stores more in the center of the board (blue spaces)). 

Anyway, it's pretty fun and even though I was ahead, those gray squares slowed me down enough for my husband to win today.    Since this was used, some of the token pieces are missing and I'm not sure what's going on with the motorist cards.  Most are red (like the parking ticket cards) and some blue, yet in the instructions, it says the motorist cards are red.  I'm thinking there must have been another version and some of the cards got mixed up.  Oh well, it's still playable, fun and one my husband can win.

Share this:

1 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's a new one to us, but we all like to shop!

Post a Comment