Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Exhausted After My First Day Back To Work

I started back to work Monday after a rough weekend. I haven't been feeling up to spending much time on the computer these last few days so you know I'm not feeling normal. At a co-worker's suggestion, I tried getting some Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar and put just a little in my low sodium nasty tasting V-8 juice. YUCK! It may be just a coincidence, but it seems as though that's when the problems started. That and my decision to return to work. I'm going to spare you the gory details, but Friday night I had some flu-like symptoms.

Saturday found me waking up with a big headache and queasy stomach so we didn't go out to breakfast like we had planned--Gerard was both worried and disappointed. I took an Advil and started feeling better. I felt okay then as the day went along but Sunday morning, I woke up feeling crappy again and didn't feel like going but off we went. I had said I would teach my Sunday School class this week so again with the Advil. It helped and Christ gave me the strength to go ahead and teach. Gerard stayed with me to assist me in case I needed help because we had 5th & 6th grade boys together. They found a 6th grade boys teacher, (thank you, Dave) but he won't be able to start until the last Sunday of September. I actually felt okay then and watched the Browns game. Only dozing off on the third quarter. Gerard kept telling me I shouldn't go to work Monday.

Monday morning off to work I went. I walked so slow thought that I almost missed the bus! Fortunately, the bus driver saw me trying to get across the street and waited for me. I felt Okay at work but by the end of the day, I was really ready to come home. I had an easy work day and everyone welcomed me back. It was nice to see many but was disturbed to find out another layoff happened on Friday which included one of the secretaries on my floor. Some said I shouldn't be back so soon. I hoped they were wrong about that.

By the time I got home an hour later on the bus, I was exhausted! My neck was stiff from sleeping on the bus and my shoulders were all tense, I was walking extremely slow (like a 90-yr.-old woman), I wanted to lay down, eat, and shower but didn't know what order to do it in. Laying down won out. Gerard's telling me to eat but I was just too tuckered. Finally about 7:40 I ate some salad. I was going to have some oatmeal too but was just too tired to fuss with it and I don't like how Gerard makes it.

How tired was I? I was SO tired . . .
I didn't even pet my cats!
Didn't unpack my bag.
Didn't make my lunch for Tuesday (Gerard did).
Didn't clean the litter boxes (Gerard did).
Didn't hang up my blouse because didn't want to go upstairs (Gerard did).
Didn't put my shoes in the closet.
Didn't even go near the computer at all!
I slept...until around 7:40 when I finally got up and made myself eat some salad that didn't take any preparation.

Gerard was worried and kept yelling at me to eat something. (Looking back it was kind of funny.)
I decided to shower in the morning instead because I was just too tired.

Yesterday I started out good again and gave work another try, but when I was getting tired in the afternoon, I decided to leave early so I didn't have a complete collapse like yesterday. My firm was very understanding and even gave me a cab voucher so I wouldn't have to wait for the bus and do that extra walking. Our HR person even brought it up to me to save me some steps. I am so fortunate to work at such a great place! I called Gerard to let him know so he wouldn't have to worry about me again and he liked that idea! He didn't think I should have started back so soon anyhow--he was right! I laid down when I got home and Abby hopped up on the bed with me. Then later I watched the show "Army Wives" that we tape and made sure I pet my cats!

I will see the surgeon today, will let him know about this and ask him to fax in an extension for me to have more time off. I think I jumped the gun. Can't believe how worn out I got! This time I'm going to take my time. I really thought I was ready to go back, but guess I was wrong.


Daisy said...

Yep, it sounds like maybe you did go back a little bit too soon. How kind of your employer to give you cab voucher! I hope you will feel much better after some more rest.

Matt Keegan said...

Karen, I hope that your recovery is complete and that you will feel better real soon.

I just realized how recently you had your surgery and I pray that you're not doing too much, too soon.

Sandee said...

Doesn't sound like you should be working right now at all. I hope your doctor takes you off work until to get your strength back. Prayers continue. :)

Mike Golch said...

I hope things keep improving for you.I will keep you in my prayers.

Kathy said...

Karen, it does sound like you tried to do too much. Listen to your body and let people continue to help you as they are. You need the rest.


Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

After seeing the doctor again yesterday, I got him to send in a note extending my time off for recovery back to October 19 again like it originally was. I figure he knows best how long the healing takes so I'm just going to go with it and enjoy my time off since my employer is Okay with that.

Unknown said...

Karen I am sending prayers your way. I hope you get to feeling better very soon.

God bless,

Lin said...

I think you'd be smart in taking some more time off--you know you weren't ready. Take it easy on yourself, Karen!

Karen said...

Yes, you need more time to recuperate. Hugs.

luckylady said...

You need to stay home as long as you can surgery takes alot out of you about a year to really get back to what we call normal

The Author said...

Oh my goodness. It does appear as if you are doing too much too soon and so sorry about the apple cider vinegar. I'm glad you're taking time off to really recuperate. You sound VERY tired.

Post a Comment