Thursday, April 7, 2011

I’ll Wear White Pants If I Want To! (Writer’s Workshop)


My mom told me that it’s not proper to wear white pants before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Huh? To me this is just goofy and I think it may even be an obsolete rule these days, I’m not really sure. I do know though that if it’s a warm day and I want to wear white pants, I will! Oh, what a rebel I am! I like wearing white pants very much because any shirt, blouse, sweater or jacket goes well with them and looks sharp as opposed to my purple pants. There just is not a whole lot of colors that you can wear with purple!

I’m one who follows the rules and so if this isn’t really a rule anymore, then too bad. It’s the only rule I can think of that I break. Do you follow this rule? What rule did you break?


This is in response to Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop prompt: “A rule I broke.”

We'd like you to stop by our Wife v. Husband Bedmaking post if you haven't yet to let us know how you make the bed.

10 comments:

Alice said...

I always thought it was a silly rule, too....

Wear whatever you want I say:)

Empty Nester said...

It was don't wear white after labor day but you could as soon as spring came around. Down here, in Charleston, we see white pretty much year round--but there are plenty of those who still adhere to the old rule...and not just that one!

Anonymous said...

I always follow the rules, except for the ones I don't like. I can't understand why no one likes to play board games with me?

My choice... Christ The Lord Is Risen Today :-)

thepsychobabble said...

Hey, if you are brave enough to wear white (I know I would trash it in minutes!) than I say wear it whenever you want!

Jessica said...

If you can pull of white I say where it whenever you want.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed this post, Karen, gotta run for today!

Sharkbytes said...

My grandmother was the official fashion police. She would never approve. I, however, was the fashion lost cause long before the 70's

Wear what you please!

Miel Abeille said...

Honestly, I've heard that rule, too. And variations of it (like, you don't wear white AT ALL before Memorial day or after Labor Day.)

I don't even own white pants, but if my thighs could pull off white pants, I would wear them any time of year that I wanted!

Have a lovely night!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Ma: Thanks for agreeing with me!

Empty Nester: You mean there are other rules too regarding fashion? This is the only one I'm aware of, other than white sox and tennis shoes really don't go well with a dress or skirt.

Ron: It's no fun playing with someone who breaks the rules. I really do not like playing games with people who cheat but I did find some tips on this blog post: http://www.mytimeasmom.com/2011/04/06/cheater-cheater/

The Pschobabble and Jessica: Thanks for your permission!

Waytenmom: Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by!

Sharkbytes: I'm glad I haven't run into your grandmother. Oh, and if she thinks I'm bad about fashion, she should have seen my dad!

Miel: Really, not just pants-even shirts? Well, I guess I broke this rule more often than I thought!

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Karen, I had NO IDEA you were such a RADICAL!!! *hee* ;) ;)

White is all right. :)

Post a Comment