Sunday, November 12, 2017

My First Colonoscopy: Live and Learn

This is a big drink!
Last Friday, I had my first colonoscopy and a couple very good things happened:  (1) I put it off until now (age 63) and (2) the prep drink did not taste as bad as expected--there was a lemon flavored packet to mix in to make it taste sort of like lemonade.

Thursday, the day before the procedure, I could not eat any solid food except for Jello and had to drink lots of water to avoid getting dehydrated.  Then starting at 4:00 I had to drink a prescription concoction 8 oz. every 10-20 minutes until I had 3/4 of it done.   The doctor or pharmacist neglected to tell me that between every glass, I would be going potty!  Ugh.  It took me 3 hours to get through it all because I just couldn't do it every 10 minutes because I was hurting from so much wiping.  I had to finish off the jug 6 hours prior to my appointment which was 4:15 a.m.  (not too bad because often I get up at that time anyway--it could have been worse).

Here are my tips for anyone having to do this and to remind me for the next time:

1)   Do not plan on going anywhere once you start this big drink.
2)   Take these things in the bathroom with you and plan on camping out for a few hours:  the jug, a cup, a timer and a book.  Just sit on the toilet the entire time to avoiding having to wipe so much, after each 8 oz. drink set the timer for 10 minutes and read in between as you go.  (time may vary depending on your doctor's instructions)

Friday, everything went according to schedule.  The hardest thing for me was skipping breakfast.  I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight Thursday and nothing at all on Friday expect the rest of "the drink" starting at 4:15 a.m.  The doctor's assistants sang a "Happy First Colonoscopy Song" to me and the doctor congratulated me on doing the prep so well.  I got in a very nice nap (anesthesia assisted), everyone was very nice, I was comfy under a light warm blanket and woke up with not problem, no pain and no grogginess or nausea.  Poor Gerard had it much worse just waiting around in the small waiting room.

My Colonguard* test result was correct, the results were not very good.  The good news is I feel fine; however, the bad news is they found some hemorroids and one palyp that wasn't high enough for my doctor to remove.  He will do a biopsy to see if it is cancerous, but said it should be removed which means surgery.  I'll find out more in two weeks when I meet with him again.  Ugh!

 I am feeling disappointed that this couldn't have been taken care of all at once.  I only have 3 vacation days left and hope I won't have to miss a lot of work.  I dread having to go through this all over again, but at least I'll know better what to expect.  Please pray that God would give me peace about this and that I don't dwell on it or let it get me down.  I'm trying to stay positive. 
*The Colonguard test is done at home.  You get a little kit in the mail with instructions.  Poop into the container provided in the kit, follow the directions and mail it back to the lab in the same kit box using the return postage label provided.  My husband was fortunate that all he needed to do was this!

Share this:


Sandee said...

I do this again this year. It's not all that bad. It's necessary to do though.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

BeadedTail said...

I'm glad you had this done and the polyp will be removed soon. It is too bad it couldn't all have been taken care of at one time but at least the doctors are taking precaution to do what's best for you. Because of family history of colon cancer and polyps, I had to do this last January - and I'm not even 50! Thankfully I didn't have any polyps but I have a colonoscopy every 5 years instead of 10 like those with no family history of it. My doctor provided a list of instructions which said to use the disposable wipes because of the bathroom time. Makes a huge difference! Anyway, sending purrs and prayers your way for a benign diagnosis and a safe surgery!

Karen said...

Sandee: I did not like it at all!

Beaded Tail: I do feel fortunate that I was able to avoid it this long. I tried the disposable wipes but by then I was already sore so they didn't help all that much. I am glad the doctor didn't take the risk when he wasn't confident he could get it out.

Post a Comment