Friday, June 29, 2012

7 Things We Learned This Week (feet, health, photography, dogs, blogging, safety, tragedy)


Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. Here we go:
  1. Feet



    As we get older, we need a bigger size shoe because our arches tend to fall. I used to be a 6 1/2 for the longest time but now wear a 7 or even in some shoes a 7 1/2. The shoe saleswoman at Lucky Shoes told us this tidbit when Gerard bought a new pair of tennis shoes in a size bigger than what he used to get.
  2. Annual Checkup

    Our doctor said Gerard has perfect anatomy and used his collarbone to demonstrate to his intern a procedure for inserting a catheter. He marked up his neck while showing her.  It was also the first time my blood pressure was lower than Gerard's.  In fact, I think I set a record low at 110!
  3. Photography Tips

    Sunrise on way to my bus stop

    I found 8 Tips for Photographing Sunrises and Sunsets by by photographer Rob Sheppard over at National Wildlife (www.nwf.org). A couple that stood out to me were to (1) check your white balance setting and change it too "cloudy" or "sunny" instead; have the horizon at the bottom of your shot or not at all to show the sky; (3) take some shots before, during and after since the colors change, and (4) use your zoom with a wide angle view.
  4. Dog of Kings

    When playing Freekibble, I discovered a dog breed I never heard of before--Kuvasz. It's a big, strong, white furry dog called a dog of kings. Check the link to learn more and see the picture.
  5. ATM

    Over at Jodi's Journey I learned that if a robber forces you to withdraw money from an ATM, you can notify police by entering your PIN backwards!
  6. Scheduling Calendar

    Blogger took my suggestion and revised the calendar for scheduling posts to have the week start with Sunday as most calendars do. (It used to start with Monday.)
  7. Tragedy

    Our youth minister's parents and sisters live in Colorado Springs and had to evacuate due to the wildfire there. They most likely will lose their home!
(We are donating 50 cents for each legitimate comment we receive on all our blogs during June and July to The Wounded Warrior Project which helps wounded warriors and their families returning from current conflicts.)

Share this:

9 comments:

Wayne W Smith said...

Thanks for the photography link. It was quite good.

Mrs4444 said...

Your fragments are always great, Karen-

*Didn't know that about the feet, but it makes sense, as my feet have grown.

*That dog is interesting. I don't think I'd like a protective dog--I'd be worried about him being too protective and possibly biting someone.

*I had no idea about that ATM tip--Thanks! Let's hope we NEVER have to use it!

*I suggested that to Blogger, too--Couldn't stand the way they had it set up before. Great minds think alike!

*We have a friend who lives in CO, too. Days ago, the fire was just 15 miles from his house. We are hoping to hear that his home was spared.

Thanks for linking up. Have a great weekend!

BeadedTail said...

Interesting about the feet. Mine seem to be getting smaller but maybe that trend will reverse in the future. Don't all men think they have the perfect anatomy? :)

nancygrayce said...

I wondered why I had to get larger shoes! That is something I never knew about and I have very high arches!

Thanks for the ATM tip! Although I pray I never have to use it and that if I do, I can remember to actually do it!

Unknown said...

My feet have stayed the same, although most of the rest of my body is growing. I am much wider in the middle. I noticed my sister's feet are tiny, too. Way too tiny for a nearly 60 year old gal. We must have genes that keep our feet smaller than the average girl. The Colorado fire is worrisome. Many have lost homes and the terrain is probably looking a bit like armageddon.

Tori Cooper said...

Haha! Enjoyed your post very much! I hear ya on the whole feet thing. My feet have grown a half size since last year. Ever since my pregnancy, my feet have never been the same. I'm a little concerned though, the rate I'm going I may end up with feet the size of Sasquatch.

I heard the whole ATM thing too buzzing around. Thanks for the reminder... it's an easy tidbit to forget.

Anyhow, nice to meet you! Visiting for the first time from Friday Fragments.

Lin said...

They say your feet get bigger after pregnancy too. I don't know--I wear all sorts of sizes depending on the shoes.

The fires are so sad in Colorado. I pray for the safety of all those people.

Claudya Martinez said...

Thank you for the link to the photography tips. I'll be sure to check it out.

My feet are already big, I'm not looking forward to them getting larger.

Ann in the UP said...

Interesting stuff, as always. It is always a treat to be a patient in a doctor or nurse training facility. We learn a lot about ourselves while others are being taught.

My feet got larger as I got fatter, and now I need a smaller size as I'm losing weight.

Your sunrise picture was GREAT! I'm checking out the photography link, too.

Post a Comment