Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Karen's Top 12 Books For 2009


A Dog's Life--Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin (This is a wonderful children's book about a stray dog told by the dog with a happy ending.)

Amber Morn by Brandilyn Collins (Suspense in a hostage situation with Christian overtones that incorporates blogging.)

Violet Dawn by Brandilyn Collins (Another suspense filled novel part of the same series as Amber Morn but this one is about a woman being pursued by a killer and a reporter comes to her rescue.)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Byrne (Very powerful book about the Holocaust and an odd friendship told from a boy's perspective, the son of a concentration camp commandant who befriends a boy in the camp.)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (Book written by man with terminal Cancer sharing life lessons--I got a lot out of this.)

One September Morning by Rosalind Noonan (Wife of a soldier in Iraq who was actually murdered by someone in his unit and her investigation.)

Still Growing by Kirk Cameron (Autobiography of Kirk Cameron, star on TV show, "Growing Pains.")

Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick (Great Christian fiction book that shows what Christian living is really all about through Sophie, a German immigrant who takes a job as a housekeeper in the USA.)

Leading With The Heart--Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life by Mike Krzyzewski (Duke's basketball coach) (Another book on living that I learned a lot from.)

The Ultimate Cat Lover by Marty Bikkel (Charming book for cat lovers--collection of short stories about cats and their owners but also helpful information on caring for cats and more.)

Why I Teach by Esther Write (Collection of success stories from a variety of teachers and some students--inspirational. I recommend this for anyone going into teaching.)

Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (Teen fiction but I enjoyed it--insight into treatment of the mentally insane back in the 1930s--about a child who was misdiagnosed as an idiot and committed to a mental institution but who found a way to communicate and appreciated little things so much. Makes you appreciate life more.)

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

9 comments:

Sandee said...

I've not read a one of these. We must like different genres. I'm into nonsense reading. James Patterson, J.D. Robb and let's not forget Dean Koontz. I love the 'who did it' kinds of books.

Have a terrific day. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any of those books, but I love knowing about new ones so I can add them to my never ending list of books I need to read :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

The movie The Boy in the Striped Pajamas about did me in. I suspect the book would be even more emotional. Good recommendations, though.

BeadedTail said...

I haven't read any of these books but I'll be adding some to my list to read one day!

JennyMac said...

Love great book recs..and I am not familiar with these titles. Have you read The Book Thief? Amazing!!!! Add it to your 2010 list. :)

The Silver Age Sara said...

Thanks for sharing your list. I'm always looking for different kinds of books to read and this list will be a big help.

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Sandee: I sometimes read those kinds too. The Kanner Lake Series by Brandilyn Collins is like that. The best "Who Done It" book that I've read though is "Sworn to Silence" by Linda Costillo. I considered listing it here, but didn't because of the gruesomeness of it.

MoniqueRenae: I'd love it if you added the book I wrote to your list: "My Funny Dad, Harry" too!

Jenny: This is really a good book!

Beaded Tail: I'd be interested to know which ones you are planning to read.

JennyMac: Thanks for the book recommendation--my husband just finished it and says it's really, really good and to thank you for suggesting it! I'm going to read it next.

Mountain Woman: I'd be interested to hear your opinion on any of these that you choose to read.

Anonymous said...

interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Post a Comment