Sunday, January 3, 2010

Having Breast Cancer Wasn't All Bad (Writer's Workshop 10-14-10)

We never know what will happen each year. At the beginning of 2009, having Breast Cancer was certainly not expected. As it turned out, the second half of 2009 I found myself facing Breast Cancer and fighting it off.

The Lord spared me from pain and Chemo. When I found out I had Breast Cancer last summer, I immediately asked to be anointed for healing at church as instructed in James 5:13-16.

My biggest fear of possibly dying was leaving Gerard alone so I wrote a list of instructions to help him out "just in case." As things turned out, he didn't need it because I had a successful lumpectomy in which the Cancer was removed and I woke up.

For me, dealing with Cancer was a little inconvenient with all the doctor trips and follow-up appointments but that was the only bad thing about it. Fortunately, the Cancer was detected early on thanks to getting my mammograms and had not spread to the lymphnodes. I had no pain at all before surgery or after other than when they prepped me for surgery and mapped where to cut but that was it for pain--a grand total of 20-30 minutes, if that, of actual pain.

I praise the Lord that Chemo was not necessary and the radiation treatments were quick and painless. Also, that my doctor was really on the ball, getting me in contact with a very good surgeon so quickly when he got the results back from my mammogram.

I was able to go braless for several months which was wonderful to me. I don't like those things. The straps are a nuisance because they fall down a lot!

I was able to be off from work with full pay thanks to FMLA and I felt fine. My job was very slow so it really was a good time for me to be off. I felt good and a bit guilty but when I tried returning to work early, I became exhausted so didn't feel guilty staying home after that, just enjoyed my time off. About mid November, I started back to work for just the mornings so still had the afternoons to do errands, blog hop, play with my pets and do the grocery shopping. It was nice! I loved getting home while it was still light.

I revised some of my eating habits and now eat vegetables, much less chocolate, V8 juice, and cut out the Friday donuts which was the hardest thing to do. Thanks to the Breast Cancer, I'm eating healthier.

So, beginning January 1, I started taking another pill, Femara, for five years that is supposed to help keep the Cancer from returning.

I write this to encourage others to get those mammograms each year, don't fret about Cancer but trust the Lord and don't let it control your thoughts. Go on about your life, enjoy living, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Also, I encourage you to eat those vegetables instead of donuts and other things high in sugar. Sugar is not your friend!  I must remember that!  (Not doing so good at passing up those donuts since I moved to a new floor at work in March of 2010--instead of eating three once a week, I only eat one some weeks.)

Related posts:
How One Phone Call Ruined My Day--Blindsided
My New Pink Hat--What A Nice Surprise!
What We Eat Really Can Make A Difference

I linked this post up to Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop in response to her prompt to write about your fight against breast cancer or someone else's since it is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  (This was one of last week's prompts)

Tweet This
Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

14 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

Karen,
It's so wonderful everything went well for you and your encouragement to other women is so great as well.
You are truly an inspiration with your faith and positive attitude.

Sandee said...

I'm glad your story turned out to be a success story. Many do not. I do get a mammogram every single year. Faithfully.

Have a terrific day. :)

Kathy said...

You went through such an ordeal and I was so happy to read your updates that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Laughed at your braless comment! Oh, to be braless for medical reasons.

I've gotten mammies since I turned 40 and will never skip a year. Ever.

Karen said...

Your words are inspiring. I am so glad it all worked out for the best. We were all praying for you!

Carrie said...

Thanks for linking this to the resolution linky! Congratulations on fighting and beating Cancer. What a big thing! I eat WAY too much sugar, so I'll consider this a wake-up call and try to do better, too. Happy 2010, may it be full of good health for you!

BeadedTail said...

It's wonderful that your battle with cancer was a success! It is important to realize that early detection is the key and unlike in days past, cancer is not a death sentence so a positive attitude and faith are very important.

Holly Lefevre said...

I am so glad that your story has a positive outcome. I am too young to get a regular mammogram, but last year when I was having some on going issues, I didn't let the doctors and insurance companies telling me no stop me...I kept coming back at them and got one done...everything was fine.

Homestay Mama said...

I'm glad your cancer was detected early and that you only needed a lumpectomy and radiation. God was indeed good to you!
And, you're right. Sugar is no one's friend!

magiceye said...

love your attitude!
best wishes for 2010

Hey
Sorry I posted late but the 1st post of Pet Pride for the year 2010 is up now! Hope to see you there!

Cheers

Bozo
Pet Pride

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Karen, that is AMAZING!!! I am so, so happy for you. God is good. You are such a blessing, and I'm glad you are still with us (and with Gerard!).

Rebecca @ FreakyFrugalite

Unknown said...

You found such a great way to make lemonade out of a lemon event.
Stopping by from SITS!

Michelle said...

God is great! I love that you've taken a scary disease and found some good in it. There's much to be said for the power of positive thinking!

Peace,
Michelle at http://greenearthbazaar.com ~ Fellow writer's workshopper. ;)

CrazyLittleB_tch said...

So inspirational! I'm glad you made it through, little worse for wear and with a bevy of good lifestyle habits. Kudos to you with more than a little thanks to the guy upstairs.

Tanya said...

Karen, what a terrificly positive attitude you have. No wonder I like reading your posts.Life truly is about mind over matter. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a super day!
Visiting from MamaKat's.

Post a Comment