Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ignorance Is Bliss—Better Not To Know How Much Others Make

Everyone knows it is best not to discuss how much a person makes with anyone right? Wrong! The athletes do not seem to know this and what they make is often public knowledge. No wonder there is so much dissatisfaction over their contracts in spite of making a million dollars a year. All it takes is for them to compare themselves to someone who is making more and they become dissatisfied.

Josh Cribbs is an example of this. In my opinion, which I’m sure I share with many, he is the Cleveland Browns’ most valuable player. He agreed to a three-year contract but wants to get a new contract before next season. Yes, he is an awesome, amazing player with a great attitude who is a leader on the Cleveland Browns team and compared to other NFL players in his position, he certainly does deserve to be paid more. However, I wonder. What if he didn’t know how much others made? Would he still think $1.4 million a year was an “insult”? I sure wouldn’t and I don’t think he would either. I like Josh Cribbs and hope he will still play for the Cleveland Browns next season and many more. It seems though he and his agents are getting impatient.

I think when it comes to professional sports, the salaries are ridiculously high. They justify this by saying it is a high risk job in that they run a risk of injury each time they take the field that could paralyze them for life. I get that; however, if they didn’t get paid those exorbitant salaries, I think there would still be plenty people who would still be willing to be professional athletes. I don’t think professional sports would disappear because I believe most professional athletes play because they are good at it and like the game.

In the scheme of importance, sports is certainly a help to the economy. Many dollars are spent on sporting events and apparel throughout the country; however, the nation could go on just fine without sports. The country would suffer more if there were no doctors, teachers, restaurants, farmers, utility workers, sanitary engineers, architects, construction workers, day care workers, bus drivers, store clerks, truck drivers, political officials, clergy, firemen, policemen, paramedics etc. Just about any other job I can think of is more necessary than a professional athlete when it comes to living.

So, my advice to these highly paid athletes is to be grateful for whatever you get because there are many other people who work every day for much less whose jobs are more important than yours. Here is a little scripture to chew on too:

I Timothy 6:6-11 (KJV):

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things: and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.


Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

4 comments:

Sandee said...

I don't have television and just don't care about sports/movies stars and the like. They have way more problems than most of the rest of us, but you are right they are paid way too much for mostly unimportant things.

Have a terrific day. :)

Karen said...

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. I wish our scientists made an inkling of what athletes do. I Stumbled this post.

Karen

Miles Of Style said...

This is a great thought provoking post. But it is also a fact that these athletes generate much higher revenues for media companies for their on field and off field activities than a dr., engineer or a scientist would.
Also, the common man's interest in an athlete is far more than his interest in any other professional. And hence I feel that it is our interest in these athletes which enable them to earn a much higher salary than other far more hard working/qualified/talented professionals.

Wishing you a lovely day SITsa! xo.

Karen and Gerard said...

Sandee: It seems they create their own problems. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Karen: Thanks for the stumble! I think it's the first I've ever received! This has always been a touchy subject with me.

Persis Shah: I think you are right that it's because of the fan support and interest in sports that they can get paid these outrageous salaries.

Post a Comment