Friday, January 29, 2010

8 Things I Learned This Week-#56


Selling Your Blog


At Daily Blog Tips I found an informative post: "Where and How I Can Sell My Blog." One place is flippa.com and another is digital point. I suggest you go read the article first so you can get the "how" part.

Cost of Femara


I got my new prescription filled for that pill I have to take for five years to keep the Cancer from returning and it costs $412 per month! This is TERRIBLE! I'm bumming out over this-AARRRGH! The good news is once I reach my $2400 deductible which at this rate will be (July), the rest of the year will be covered all by my insurance. Next year I can change to a plan where I just pay $35 a month for it. This is one instance where it would have been nice to have seen the future in advance!

Psychopaths


After reading Columbine by Dave Cullen, I learned what psychopaths are like:
Psychopaths are capable of behavior that normal people find not only horrific but baffling. They lie for amusement and take great personal pride in their deceptions and extract tremendous joy from them. They are distinguished by two characteristics: The first is a ruthless disregard for others: they will defraud, maim, or kill for the most trivial personal gain. The second is an astonishing gift for disguising the first--it‘s the deception that makes them so dangerous. The fundamental nature of a psychopath is a failure to feel. Their brain processes emotional responses differently.


Pet Poisons


Playing my cat & dog trivia game this week, I learned that the top poison for dogs in 2009 were human medications. We always keep ours in a high cupboard and never leave them out on the counter. Here's the Link to the article Top 10 Pet Poisons of 2009.

Poor Passwords


I read one of the Yahoo news articles from THE NEW YORK TIMES this week about poor passwords people use and was relieved when mine were not on the list. Check to see if yours are listed at "If Your Password Is 123456, Just Make It Hack Me." I got a tip from a Webroot email for coming up with a strong passwork that I thought is pretty good:
To create strong passwords, try thinking of a sentence that includes a number. Then, use the first letter of each word as your password. For example: "My favorite TV show is 24" would give you the password: MfTVsi24.


Bar Soap


At Seven Clown Circus I learned that if you open your new bars of soap and allow the air to make them hard, they last much longer that way.

Dogs & Owners


Our Friday Fragment hostess left me the following comment on last week's post:
Mrs. 4444: The info on dog walkers is great. What do they say about people (like me!) who just put their dog on the treadmill?! (I thought she was kidding so exchanged the following emails):

me: No, you don't put your dog on the treadmill! LOL

Mrs. 4444: Yes, we do, and he loves it! The vet loves it, too; it's easier on the joints! He does get regular walks, too, but hardly ever in the winter.

me: This is funny--you should definitely do a post with a video or picture of your dog on his treadmill walk!


Mrs 4444 dog really does use the treadmill! Here is a link to the short video she posted of her dog, Cooper: When Dogs Feel Fat.

Firefox Seminar


Kathy at the Junk Drawer kindly left a link in the comments on my Friday Fragment post last week to a www.lehigh.edu/computing/docs/firefox/seminar.html she did. It's a comprehensive look at Firefox and you may learn something you didn't know and get more use out of it. Thanks, Kathy!

Click here for more "Friday Fragments."
Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

14 comments:

baby names said...

learned a lot from it and wanted to buy the program recently but could not remember the name of the program.

Eternal Lizdom said...

OUCH on the cost of those pills!! Worth every penny but... that would break my budget!

Melissa said...

The one about passwords is so true. So many people use their kids names or pets names, but those are things people would guess. It has to be at least a little complex.

Sandee said...

Love the password idea. I do that already, but didn't know it was a good thing.

Sorry about the high price of your medication. I've had that happen to me and it's not pretty.

Have a terrific day and weekend. :)

Unknown said...

Hello Folks, Congrats on Runner up, EzGreatLife! John is a great Dude.

First timer to your site, I really like it! I will come back to READ more. Let's keep up the DRC, ok?

My prayers are with you.

Peace.

Stefany said...

It is a shame that medicine that can save lives is so expensive. I am glad your insurance covers some of it though!

Dave Cullen said...

Thanks for the shout out on my book COLUMBINE. I appreciate it.

You picked a good passage to quote. Thanks.

BeadedTail said...

That medicine is incredibly expensive! Wow!

And how cool is it that Dave Cullen commented on your blog!

Mrs4444 said...

Hey, thanks for the plug!

I really should check out that Firefox link; I know I could be making better use of mine.

That's a good password tip, and I am definitely going to try that soap thing, too.

As always, I enjoyed your tips, Karen!

mub said...

I always get a kick out of your posts!

It guts me that important medications like that are so horribly expensive. The health care system here switched from mostly social to privatized and heavily subsidized and people are up in arms about having a €155 deductible (YEARLY) now. I just keep thinking they don't know how good they actually have it!

That password article is interesting. I'm surprised at the suggestion of having 12 letter passwords. Most of the websites I use have a max of 8 or 10!

gm said...

Cullen , who first reported on the story for the online magazine Salon, acknowledges in the book's source notes that thoughts he attributes to Klebold and Harris are conjecture gleaned from the record the pair left behind.

Jeff Kass takes a more straightforward approach in "Columbine: A True Crime Story," working backward from the events of the fateful day.
The Denver Post

Mr. Cullen insists that the killers enjoyed "far more friends than the average adolescent," with Harris in particular being a regular Casanova who "on the ultimate high school scorecard . . . outscored much of the football team." The author's footnotes do not reveal how he knows this; when I asked him about it while preparing this review, Mr. Cullen said he did not necessarily mean to imply that Harris was sexually active. But what else would such words mean?

"Eric and Dylan never had any girlfriends," the more sober Mr. Kass writes, and were "probably virgins upon death."
Wall Street Journal

The Silver Age Sara said...

Karen,
I'm so sorry the medicine is so expensive. I really don't know how people who have medical needs manage to live.
As to doggie treadmills, you can train your dog to use your treadmill (I have done so) but if you have more money than you know what to do with it there are doggie treadmills for sale. It's a good way to exercise and condition certain dogs or to rehab dogs as well.

baby names said...

Wow very advising post. thanks for weekly learn seven things.

Mrs4444 said...

OOps! Karen, I'm stealing some of your content tonight (pics of your dogs in the tiny dog bed!) and am trying to link back to that post but can't find it! Please send me the link you'd like me to send people to...thanks.

Post a Comment