Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Too Busy To Hear From God?


I found a very helpful post this morning on Proverbs Wife: Finding Time for the Bible. I believe it's the first time I ever visited this blog but will definitely add it to my favorites.

When I think about how important the Holy Bible is because it is the inspired Word of God, it makes me want to read it every day. Compared to how much time I spend on other things, it seems like I just don't give it the importance that I should. Having a quiet time with God for prayer and Bible reading/study is key if we want to know Him better and let him guide and direct our lives. Even Jesus was busy meeting people's needs when he was on earth with crowds following him around all the time and yet even He, the Son of God, took time alone to pray to His heavenly Father.

The Bible is like no other book because the Holy Spirit of God speaks to our hearts through it and we learn spiritual truths that God reveals to us. We learn what pleases God and what doesn't. If you've never read the Bible, I suggest you start with the gospel of John because it is about Jesus life here on earth and presents Him as the Son of God. If you are Jewish and are very familiar with the Old Testament, I suggest you read the New Testament as well, starting with Hebrews and Galatians.

I've only read the Bible through once and even then, I did not go straight through from Genesis to Revelation. I used a paper that listed all the chapters in the Bible and started with the shortest books first. That way I made some fast progress and success breeds success so did not get blogged down. I jumped back and forth between the Old Testament and the New. Although I went to church from when I was a preschooler on through my adult years just about every Sunday, there were things that I never heard before. I found the Old Testament books of I & II Kings and I & II Chronicles to be filled with some really interesting history. My least favorite book of the Bible is Leviticus--that one did blog me down a bit.

There are some things that I do not understand, but that's okay. I follow what I do understand and trust that some day God will reveal the other things to me in His time. I don't get hung up on the mysteries of God or why he does what he does. My focus is in my Savior, Jesus Christ, and doing God's will the best that I know how.

The Bible has been referred to as a love letter from God to us. You wouldn't be too busy to read a love letter, would you? For great ideas as to how to spend more time in God's Word, please check out the link above.

7 comments:

The Proverbs Wife said...

Hello Karen & Gerard

I think that reading the Bible is essential to our faith. Without it we are denying ourselves the very substance that strenthens our faith in God.

I am so glad to know that others believe that time spent reading Gods word is important also.

Thank you for linking to my post. I hope that your readers are encouraged to utilize some of the methods in order ot find more time to read their Bible.

Please consider subscribing to my blog in a reader. This will help keep you updated on my latest posts. I update my blog a several times a day and at least five times a week.

You can find my subscription link directly following any of my post or on my left sidebar.

Have blessed and prosperous day.

Lisa C. aka Trophy of Grace said...

I came by to say thanks for the comment on my page.

I also enjoyed reading this posting. It is right on point. Reading the Word of God is essential for anybody who wants to grow in the Lord and live a successful Christian life.

When I first started seeking to know our Lord the Holy Spirit lead me to read Joshua. When I read Joshua 1:6-8 I felt like this was everything I needed to hear.

Joshua 1:6-8

6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Now I read the Word daily and meditate on what I have read. My mind has been renewed. My life has been transformed because I spend time with the Word of God.

Thanks again..

The Silver Age Sara said...

I loved your post. I read my Bible every day and I also read study books as well. Sitting down with the Bible is the best part of any day. Just a great way to open your heart and mind.
Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link information. I will check it out. Great post Karen! Have a wonderful day
Chris

Anonymous said...

I used to study the Bible an awful lot...I prefer chronological readings vs skipping around but whatever floats your boat...I also think that anyone serious about their faith shoul invest in a good copy of the Strong's Concordance and learn how to use it efficiently.

.i also recommend that every christian at least one time read the bible like its just some book...not like it is gods holy word or infallible...that way you can be open to the idea of it not being perfect...otherwise the contradictions you find in it will simply be buried by your fear of what may be true about it.

www.e-sword.net has a great resource bible program with strong's built in, i highly recommend the KJV+, Darby, and Young's Literal translations....and of course the Geneva.

good luck with it

www.ragingrev.com
check me out.

Karen and Gerard said...

Hadias:
Thanks for stopping by. It's nice to have found you.

Trophy of Grace: What a great passage in Joshua! Thanks for sharing.

Mountain Woman: Thanks for sharing. Time with God is the highlight of my day as well.

Wildcatsthree: Thanks for commenting. God bless.

Matt:
Thanks for commenting. I have a Young's concordance and the 4 Parallel Translation New Testament. These are both helpful. I've been to your blog and it seems as though you just like to argue with Christians and state you are now an atheist. Yet you still use the title "Rev." What is that?

Anonymous said...

thanks for your response.

My blog is still taking shape, i havent fully gotten into the whole vision thing yet, i transferred it from a live journal account to my own service, livejournal is very much what it sounds like, so i am used to just posting whatever i want, but im working on the structure as we go. IM not just arguing with christians, im debating and conversating, i think conversation is healthy for both myself and christians---helps us learn to live together and tolerate one another better...something i bet both you and I have struggled with from time to time.


Also, im new to the atheist thing...im proud of it, just like you were proud when you were saved (as was i), im proud of my deconversion...


im still wearing my title because i want the blogosphere and those around me to know where i came from...there are alot of christians that are afraid to step out of the closet of doubt, as i was for a very long time...when i finally did that i found a support community after searching long and hard, i want to help be that community of people and help them get out of it if they want to. It is a very painful process to say the least, once you lose the support of your church and loved ones, it gets even harder!

Thank you for your tolerance and conversation, please please leave comments, i promise to at least try to be constructive in my endeavor

Matt Oxley
http://ragingrev.com

Post a Comment