Thursday, May 31, 2012

Shopping at Three Amish Stores (Part 3)

After our house tour, we went into town and enjoyed some shopping.


First StopHershberger's Farm and Bakery Ltd.  Wow, lots of animals, even a goat on the roof which I spotted as soon as we entered the parking lot.  They had a petting farm area with more farm animals out back and a bakery and store with all kinds of things but I didn't buy anything here.

big horse you could pay to ride
Biggest horse in Holmes County

Goats to pet

pony rides

Zork--a mix between a horse and a zebra






They had lots of animals which is where I spent most of my time visiting at this stop. They even had a zork which I've never seen or even knew existed. It's a mix between a horse and a zebra. It looks like a horse with stripes! Have you ever seen one? They also had pigs, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, goats and lots of animals behind the petting farm. Off the store was an area for adoptable puppies. They had hand sanitizer available for those who wanted to pet the doggies, of course I did. The cute fluffy St. Bernard sneaked out the door, but was quickly retrieved.

St. Bernard--So Cute!
Puppies for Adoption










Second Stop:  Heini's Cheese Chalet
cheese fudge

This store was so charming and fun! The cheese section was very big. They give you toothpicks and have samples in a tub nearby some of the cheeses.  I sampled quite a bit of the cheese way at the end of the row and thought it tasted like fudge!  Then I looked at the label and saw it WAS cheese fudge. I was very tempted to buy some, but we already had lots of bakery at home so I didn't get any. They had chocolate mint, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate with nuts, and coconut. I loved them all! In addition to the cheeses, they also had a candy area where there was some more fudge and an area of small gifts. This is where I made my first purchase, a nice souvenir that I thought was so cute:

My souvenir of my trip to Amish Country
The cat looks like my Manny boy and I laughed when I saw this--the cat seeing a tiger in the mirror!  I hung it up in my kitchen as soon as I got home.  (Manny loves it!)

At this stop we discovered our bus had an oil leak but fortunately, God provided someone who had the small part that was needed to fix it and got it fixed for us.  Most of us weren't even aware there was a problem until after we loaded up to go to our next stop and the Pastor told us what happened. 



Stop 3Ashery Country Store

That yellow is my lemon ice cream cone I bought here--delicious!
It was a great day but long.  We left at 8:45 a.m. and got back at 6 p.m.  I sure hope I get to go again some time! 

I hope you will go look at Parts 1 and 2 of this series about my trip too if you haven't seen them yet!


(50 cents per legitimate comment during May goes to Joni and Friends for family retreat scholarships for those having special needs children.)

Share this:

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Mmmm, I would love to sample some delicious cheeses!

Sandee said...

What a fun trip and you're right it was a long day indeed. So much fun though. Love your purchase too.

Have a terrific day. :)

Mountain Woman said...

Oh, Karen, what fun!!! I love all your pictures. I guess I have my own petting zoo here but I sure would have loved to have taken the St. Bernard puppy home. Love the giant draft horse too. I wonder if the Cheese Chalet has an online store. I've never heard of chocolate cheese before. Love the hanging you got too. Well, actually, I love all these photos and the stories. What fun!

Post a Comment