Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Fragments--Happy Memorial Weekend!


Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. We like to share what we've learned each week but this week, I didn't really learn much so am going to just list some things on my mind this week.
  1. Cake Pops

    Got my chocolate and strawberry cake pops from Mrs. 4444 as a thank you for sponsoring her difference makers group in the race for the cure for cancer. They are very good and I've been taking two for lunch each day. Thank you, Mrs. 4444!
  2. Day Trip to Amish Country

    Hershberger's Farm & Bakery Ltd. (goat on roof)

    I made my first trip ever to Amish country (Millersberg) with our senior group from church. It was a wonderful trip and I got to ride in a buggy with an Amish girl who was quite a driver. Hope to post more about this next week. One of the stores we stopped at had a petting farm that let the goats walk on the roof because they like heights!
  3. Birthday Bunny

    Have you heard of the "Birthday Bunny"? I was called this by a friend of mine who I left a card with candy in a bag on her door for her birthday. I like that title.
  4. Sports Camp

    I am very excited about Sports Camp at Parma Heights Baptist Church coming up next month. Both Gerard and I are taking a vacation week to volunteer to coach basketball. We had a couple meetings already and are looking over the materials. Each day we have a 20-min. devotional time with our small group to share the gospel with kids. We anticipate close to 1,000 kids this summer!
  5. Good Reads About War

    I read two powerful, moving books about war this past week that I highly recommend: Never Fall Down about a government takeover and genocide in Cambodia from a boy's perspective and Outlaw Platoon about the Lieutenant Sean Parnell and his platoon fighting in Afghanistan. What better time to read these than around Memorial Day? Our review of Outlaw Platoon will be posted on our book blog Monday in honor of Memorial Day. Hope you all enjoy your Memorial Weekend and take time to pray for and honor our soldiers! 
Remember to Fly Your Flag

(50 cents per legitimate comment during May goes to Joni and Friends for family retreat scholarships for those having special needs children.)

Share this:

9 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

1,000 kids is A LOT of kids at camp! Is this the "stay for a week" kind of camp, of the go home at night but come back the next day kind of camp?

Actingbalanced said...

Basketball camp sounds like a great vacation!

Tami said...

Is the Amish town you visited in PA? I love visiting the Lancaster area where there are so many Amish crafts and my fav, horses and buggies!

Sandee said...

I'm so fascinated by the Amish after seeing so many on our recent trip to Indiana. I'm glad you went and how fun to ride in one of their buggies. I would love to do that.

Have a terrific day and weekend. :)

Tracy said...

Never heard of the birthday bunny. I wonder if your birthday is on Easter if you get two bunny visits?

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I greatly admire the Amish life. I know there's no perfect utopia, but I admire their convictions and hard work ethic. Just think, average American life used to be JUST like that before the turn of the 20th century.

I expect you and Gerard to be terrific coaches! I am amazed at how much you love sports. You'll probably have great advice to give the kids after watching so many games.

I'll check out that Never Fall Down book, looks good.

Wayne W Smith said...

I loved that sign. It made me go and google it. What fun!

P.S. Does the birthday bunny hide your gifts?

Mrs4444 said...

Your talk about the cakepops has my mouth watering--What a funny feeling, to be wishing I had some of the cakepops I sent to YOU!haha Glad you're enjoying them! The strawberry ones are from a homemade cake that has Jello in it! Yummmmm

Believe it or not, we have a goat on a roof here in Wisconsin, too!

Thanks for linking up! :)

Karen and Gerard said...

Keetha: It's just 4 days either mornings or afternoons. We offer 5 sports: Flag Football, Soccer, Basketball, Cheer leading and this will be the first year we offer volleyball.

Heather: It is fun--the grounds are so energized! Parents can stay and watch too if they wish.

Tami: No, it was in Millersburg and I think Berlin, Ohio too.

Sandee: I made 3 separate posts of my trip which will go up on here beginning Tuesday. It was so much fun!

Tracy: I guess so.

Rebecca: I could handle the Amish life except for the fact that the women have to wear dresses all the time and mostly work in the kitchen--that is NOT me! We get lots of materials to give us help with the coaching. Basically, it's just teaching the fundamentals of the game using the drills we are given. The devotions are all written out for us too. I think you'll like this book!

Wayne: Did anything come up on Goggle for that sign? No, the birthday bunny comes quickly, leaves it at the door and hops away before being seen!

Mrs. 4444: I think you need to make some of those cake pops for yourself! Is it a real goat on the roof there?

Post a Comment