Monday, May 28, 2012

Freedom Isn't Free--Thank You!

source:  Freedom Isn't Free (Mike Golch)
I always had a fascination with the military although I never had an immediate family member in it until my foster brother joined and was in the Black Knights.  I am sorry to say I did not keep in touch with him during that time,  I had a cousin in the navy but we were not a close family and I didn't really know him.  I did used to like playing army though and loved watching McHale's Navy, Gomer Pyle, Combat, and now enjoy Army Wives.  I had a couple helmets, insignias and memorized the army ranks.  I even still have my army men, which I named and some of my trucks!  I put names on the bottom of them with masking tape.

Recently we have read some books that have given me a real feel of what war is really like.  These include both fiction and non-fiction.  Here is a list of our favorites that we recommend to you:

Outlaw Platoon by Sean Parnell and John Bruning (Afghanistan--contemporary non-fiction)

Homefront by Kristin Hannah (fiction)

One September Morning by Rosalind Noonan (fiction about Army widow)

Hope Unseen by Capt. Scott Smiley and Doug Crandall (Non-fiction)

One Dog at a Time--Saving The Strays of Afghanistan by Pen Farthing (non-fiction)

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer (Afghanistan--Pat Tillman, non-fiction)

Hannah's Hope by Karen Kingsbury (fiction)

Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton (Afghanistan contemporary non-fiction)

Nubs, The True Story Of A Mutt, A Marine & A Miracle by Brian Dennis, Mary Nethery, Kirby Larson (Afghanistan, children's picture book, non-fiction)

Fading Echoes by Mike Sielski

(50 cents per legitimate comment during May goes to Joni and Friends for family retreat scholarships for those having special needs children.)

Share this:

5 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Happy Memorial Day to you! I don't have any first hand experience with family members being in the military but I have great respect for those who serve our country. I just read Home Front by Kristin Hannah and she gives a little glimpse as to what it's like but I still can't imagine.

Sandee said...

If I was young I'd be in the military now. I would have back when I was young, but women usually files paperwork and typed. Not for me.

Have a terrific day. :)

Beth Ann Chiles said...

Wow--that is quite the list of books!! I am very impressed!! Happy Memorial Day to you!

Mrs4444 said...

Gomer Pyle was the best! :) I miss that show...

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Beaded Tail: Yes, I liked HOME FRONT but OUTLAW PLATOON gives more about the actual combat situations.

Sandee: There are even women pilots in the military now.

Beth Ann: I think Gerard read all of these; I read some. NUBS is very sad but has a good ending.

Mrs4444: I liked Sgt. Carter in that show the best.

Post a Comment