Thursday, August 18, 2011

That Was Awkward (Writers Workshop)

I went to the shortest graduation party ever last Sunday.  I left at 3:30 and got home by 4:00!  The party was only about three minutes away from our house which was for two sisters but I only knew one of them.  It had just finished pouring rain and so when I got there, everyone was inside, all 9 adults and a couple little kids.  I brought a card but they weren’t expecting any so didn’t have any designated spot.  Someone brought over a cardboard box and said I could put it in there, but I was afraid it would be tossed out by mistake.  After all, I had included a check in the card so really wanted some assurance the graduate would get it.  I couldn’t give it to her myself because she was out of town and missed her own party!

I only knew one person there, the younger sister so chatted with her some.  I did enjoy meeting their two dwarf cats who came over for me to pet them, the highlight of the party.  They were normal size except had very short legs.  I never saw cats like that before and liked petting them up.  Their fur was very soft and fluffy.  The mother kept telling me not to feel like I had to stay so I left after about 20 minutes before the burgers were even grilled.  I stood the whole time because it wasn’t a big place and I figured I wasn’t going to stay very long.


I’m not sure who felt more awkward though, me or the hostess.  It was just strange.

This is in response to Mama Kat's Workshop prompt to write about an awkward moment.

Share this:

10 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

You are right, that was definitely awkward! That always seems the case to me when events are held at an unusual time, like a reception long after the wedding, or graduation party after the fact. Oh well, you got your card delivered.

Paula Kiger said...

Yikes!! Until the end of the post I thought the punch line was going to be, "then I figured out I had arrived on the wrong date and no one was going to tell me!" I hope they enjoyed their burgers .... sounds like you made the better choice - enjoy the kitties, deliver the $$, and return to the comfort of home!

Junk Drawer Kathy said...

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is why hold a party for a graduate who isn't even there? That is by far the strangest thing I've ever heard. The only party anyone should have without you is the wake when you're dead.

Marg said...

That does sound a little awkward. Can't believe the actual graduate wasn't there. That is weird. Sorry you had such a crumby time. Take care.

BeadedTail said...

Well thank goodness you at least at kitties to enjoy! What an odd party!

Daisy said...

I think those cats might be Munchkins!

Sharkbytes said...

That sure sounds pretty awkward... weird party.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

I can't believe that after you were incredibly kind and brought a gift that the hostess told you that you "didn't have to stay"

That is just downright rude!
I would have taken the gift with me as I left!

Tiffany said...

That was awkward city! I can't believe they all but asked you to leave. How rude!

Shanda said...

OH, I hate those times. At least you could leave though and didn't feel like you HAD to stay.

Post a Comment