Thursday, March 3, 2011

It Feels Great To See Progress (Writer's Workshop)


Thanks to all who participated on our little exercise poll. It appears that those with dogs get exercise walking but most prefer to blog or read rather than exercise. Only 9 out of 38 actually said they worked out at a gym. After being unable to workout for about a year and a half, I am happy to be back in the gym again working out three times a week since the beginning of this year. I thought I’d share with you some things that inspired me to keep working out besides the fact that I know it’s good for my health.

Seeing progress is the best motivator! Acknowledge the small changes and persevere!

Each time I workout, I try to do a little more than I did before. This is why it is important to write down what you do (the exercise or machine you use, the weight, number of reps).

I was thrilled when I did walking lunges and found they were so much easier than when I did them before. Same thing with taking two steps at a time. The other day I could take two at a time with no problem, unlike the first time I tried this.

I also saw great improvement the last time I did my Bosu ball total body workout Saturday. I used to only do one segment with some difficulty but now I am able to do all three segments without any difficulty! For me, this is the biggest motivator. I really felt good after that and look forward to trying the other segments.

It’s also a good idea to take some measurements just for comparison. I was happy to see I lost two inches around my waist from a previous measurement from a year ago! Battling a flabby stomach is a constant battle for me, but now I’m beginning to see my abs again.

It’s also fun to see my strength actually increase when I use heavier weights than previously or do more reps than I did last time. It’s very important to change things up, not just to keep from getting bored but also to keep your muscles guessing so they don’t get used to the same routine.

I really like the FITNESS magazine because it gives lots of tips and examples of different workouts to try, some of which are very challenging. I find the TV show, "The Biggest Loser" very inspiring too! It really makes me want to exercise.


This post is in response to Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt, "What inspired you this week?"

Please leave a comment to help Canine Lifeline--our charity for March.

8 comments:

Heidi Smith Luedtke -- LeadingMama said...

Those are all good motivators! I love it that you are finding new reasons to keep at it as you improve, too.

Daisy said...

My Mommeh got an X-Box Kinect just a few weeks ago, and she does the Biggest Loser game. It is motivating because if you do the exercise incorrectly, you turn red (instead of green) and you don't get any calories burned! Each Monday there is a weigh-in and you can see how you performed for the week.

Dominique @Dominique's Desk said...

It's good to read that you are so motivated to keep fit. I don't go to a gym but I do stair climbing everyday in between taking care of the kids.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I'm glad you can get back to the gym. Exercise is important. I can't afford the gym. However, I do lov to dance and I have quite a few dance workout DVDs that I use. Walking is also good, and it's free :) :) :) Have a great week. Greetings from Oregon, Heather :)

Unknown said...

Getting myself into the gym is half the battle. Glad you made it there and exercised.

BeadedTail said...

Congratulations on your progress! Seeing results is certainly good motivation to continue!

Making It Work Mom said...

Ha! Kind of funny since I am reading your blog as a procrastination to exercise. Good for you for getting to the gym.

Tiffany said...

Great job getting to the gym and following a routine. I liked using the gym but was bad about going.

Post a Comment