Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Greatest Love Story Ever! (Writer's Workshop)


Jesus loves me! I was just seven years old when I realized on an Easter Sunday in Sunday School how much God loved little unimportant me. Jesus left His home in heaven to come to earth in human form to bring me to God. Wow! He voluntarily suffered an agonizing death, even to the point of being crucified as a common criminal and humiliated before a multitude of people. He lived a holy, sinless life on earth in spite of Satan’s attempts to get him to—the only person to ever do this so that he could sacrifice himself as the Savior of the world! He did it so I can be forgiven and saved me from the punishment of sin—eternal separation from God in hell.

Watching the JESUS film clip in my 5th grade Sunday School class last week really brought this to life for my class and was a good reminder for me. Reading it is one thing, but seeing it makes it even more moving. I still get choked up when I think about how Jesus suffered, bled and died for me before I even knew Him. Even on the cross, he was concerned about those crucifying Him, praying “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.” The good news is He didn’t stay dead though—he arose as He said, proving He really is God. It amazes me so much that God left heaven to die for sinful humans so we can be forgiven and live with him for all eternity in heaven. What a plan God has!

What is also amazing is how people can reject Jesus once they hear how much He loves them. If you have doubts about God or his plan of salvation, ask God to show you the truth.

If you are unfamiliar with this great love story, you can read all about it in the Bible, specifically Matthew 26-28; Mark 14-16; Luke 22-24; John 18-21. (Actually the entire Bible is God’s 66 love letters to us).

Other recommended reading (click on any of these to read my review):

Letters From A Skeptic

66 Letters by Dr. Larry Crabb

The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven by Kevin and Alex Malarky

JESUS--90 Days With The One And Only by Beth Moore

Flight to Heaven--A Plane Crash, A Lone Survivor and A Journey To Heaven And Back by Capt. Dale Black

This is in response to Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop prompt: A Story Of Love

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you definitely chose a good topic. God is love I John 4:7-8.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I commented on your other blog as well, as Caroline Ross....that's my Google sign in, but it doesn't link to my blog like this one does.

Unknown said...

None of us could claim a sinless life, could we? I heard Temple Grandin describe God as "unseen greatness" in her book "Animals in Translation". We all need to have something in which to believe; thank you for sharing your faith with us!

Unknown said...

I had a roommate in college who hate any mention of prayer or Jesus' love. I think it lead me to pray for her more.

The Silver Age Sara said...

What a beautiful story and I appreciate the links.

SnipeWife said...

Well said! Stopping by from Mama Kat's. I touched on this topic through pictures of God's creation.

Jessica said...

Great story of love.

Anonymous said...

Praise God that He opened your heart as a child. It took Him 33 years to get through to me.

~Ron
*******

Jenna said...

Thank you for taking an opportunity to share your faith with this prompt :) I enjoyed reading your story.

BeadedTail said...

I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing with us!

Crystal said...

Absolutely the greatest love story ever! But you're right many don't accept it, don't believe...refust perhaps. I was an adult w/2 kids already before I gave my life to Jesus....and it's never been the same. God offers a life different from what everyone else is living!! Great post!!

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

Good post!

John 3:16

Casey said...

This is a wonderful post! So appropriate for a topic of "love!" Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope to run across your posts again on the writing link-ups :)

Post a Comment