Friday, December 10, 2010

5 Things I Learned This Week #99 (dogs, grammar, exercise, snowman)


Dentist's Pet Calms His Patients

Now this is a great idea! A dentist in California brings their pet 10 lb. dog into the office and lets it lay on the patients lap to calm them while having surgery! Now that's a dentist I wouldn't mind going to. I wish dentists in my neck of the woods would see this and get inspired.  See article here.
Related posts: I'm Afraid--The Dentist Is Going To Hurt Me!
I Survived My Oral Surgeon Trip--Hurray!

Grammar

I am finally convinced that the correct spelling of the plural possessive form for children is "childrens'" and not "childrens" as I originally learned. (I see spell checker doesn't accept "childrens" either though.) Hmm. Anyhow, since Amazon spells it without the apostrophe, I guess I will too. Terri Blackstock, a Christian author, wrote a post about The Changing Grammar Rules that I found interesting.

Funny Exercise Tips

At 365 Cat Ladies and Friends I learned a new exercise routine from her cat: Physical Phitness With Buttonwillow. This is the funniest post about exercising I ever saw!

Building A Snowman

When at the eye doctor I happened to look at a magazine and found instructions on how to make a snowman. I found out you roll the snow into three balls and stack them, but instead you use a shovel and pile up the snow in a big pile, then just sculpt it into a snowman. When done, pour water on it to give it a longer life. I don't remember the name of the magazine.

A Challenge For You:  I tried this and will post about it with a picture of it Monday which is my birthday. It will have a Linky to it so you can make a snow sculpture over the weekend and link up your post with a picture of it.   

Now Something I'd Like To Learn--Clip Art

I wanted to find some FREE clip art to use for this post but couldn't. Anyone know where I can find some?  UPDATED 12/12/10:  Thanks to Kirby3131 at The Goat, I now found some absolutely free clip art at www.allfree-clipart.com and at www.1clipart.com.  See my clip art snowman above?

Click here for more Friday Fragments.

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard

14 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Love the dentist and the dog! Although I'm not sure it would relax me all that much. Don't love the dentist at all.

Did the snowman article mention how to make the snowman if you don't have any snow? LOL

Happy 3 days before your birthday!

Kay said...

i like BIG dogs, so i think i will pass on having a pooch on my chest during a dental visit. it is scary enough for me to hear that drill....ugh!

i am going to try the snowman thing, though i will probably need to use my garden spade and not the snow shovel ;-) i am excited! why can't we get snow!!!!???

teaching english grammer to my children is so annoying. not only does every rule have an exception but now chicago is changing long standing grammer rules??? we just taught the kids about the plural possessive and children. oh well, they get tested on the book i am teaching from, if they become authors, they can read up on the chicago adaptations ;-)

Unknown said...

I think you're right about childrens. I don't care that spell checker doesn't agree. I love the dentist news.

CD

Eternal Instants said...

Where I come from, here in the south, we see very little snow, if any, but I always go home to Virginia for Christmas and we amost always have a little there. I will have to remember the snowman tip, we did an awesome snowman last year. She wore a Hawaiian lei, sunglasses, a straw hat, and a straw handbag on her twiggy arms. She was pretty awesome!

As for the dog dentist, I am one of the few people who would probably run away. I'm just not that crazy about them... dogs or dentists!

Have a great weekend :)

Claudya Martinez said...

I love the idea of using a pet to sooth nerves at the dentist. I could have used one many times.

Angie, Catladyland said...

I want to go to that dentist too!! I have terrible phobia and anxiety with the dentist -- what a great idea!

I'm with you and "childrens'" That's definitely correct. :)

Have a great weekend!!

BeadedTail said...

My dental checkup is next week and I'd look forward to it if I knew there'd be a dog or a cat there to hold on to!

That cat exercise post was hilarious! Such a beautiful kitty too!

Cyndy Bush said...

I love the dentist story too, I would be more than willing to bring my own dog!
Did you try googling "free clip art"?

Karen and Gerard said...

Empty Nester: I think a cat would help more, but they aren't always in the mood to lay on a lap. I guess you could make a snowman with cotton balls if you don't have snow, although it wouldn't be as much fun. Thanks for the early birthday wish!

Tettlestal: We love bigger dogs too, but a little dog is better than none. Too bad you don't have any snow. The English language is kind of goofy. I remember hearing or reading that it's one of the most difficult to learn because of all the exceptions to rules.

Clarissa: Thanks for confirming that. Glad you liked my dentist news.

Eternal Instants: Your snowman does sound awesome. Glad to hear you get snow for Christmas! I used to be afraid of dogs until my mom got me a puppy! Now I love them! Maybe you should get a puppy.

Unknown Mami: I think this is a great idea! It would help me. I love going to businesses that have pets!

Angie: Glad you agree with me, both about the dentist and childrens.

Beaded Tail: Maybe you could take Sadie with you to the dentist as a service dog--just tell them you need her to keep you calm. Glad you took the time to check out the exercise post and enjoyed it. That reminds me, I'm going to link that up to Mrs. 4444 Saturday Sampling.

Dysfunctional Mom: Bringing your own dog to the dentist sounds like a good idea. (See my comment above) Yes, I did google "free clip art" and I was leery about using it because if it's free, why are there prices by it or instructions to join the sight and pay money to use it for a year? I really want free clip art that I can just download and use without breaking any rules.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

With you on the plural of children... its one of those things that I see wrong so often I forget what's right!

Kristin - The Goat said...

About your clip art dilemma...I have always just Googled Clip Art free and a whole list comes up. allfree-clipart.com or 1clipart.com are two that I've used in the past.

Kristin _ The Goat

Karen said...

Kirby: Thank You! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Mountain Woman said...

Karen,

Happy almost birthday! I've been spelling childrens wrong forever and no matter what I do, I get spell check errors. I'm going back to my old Elements of Style book and look it up. I guess how would you demonstrate it's a possessive without adding an apostrophe? Interesting!

I would give anything to hold a dog or cat or even gerbil while having a procedure done. What a great idea.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Karen, this was driving me crazy so I looked in up in my English texts and the plural of children possessive of children is childrens'. You have to use the apostrophe to make it possessive but it comes after the "s" instead of children's.

Geesh, this was making me crazy so I'm glad I got the definitive answer from a grammar text. I'll know better now.

Post a Comment