Thursday, December 9, 2010

Snowstorms Like This Make Me Really Wish I Could Retire!

Yesterday the snow came and came and came in Cleveland. When I talked to Gerard at lunch time, he said he would leave the car in the corner parking lot for me and would call me probably a little after 5:00 when he got there to let me know he made it okay. Well, I got my cell phone ready at the bus stop and waited for his call, praying for him to get home safely the whole time. At 5:40 he called to let me know he was STILL downtown, not even to the ramp yet to get on the interstate. Traffic was not moving.

Why is it on snowy days people don't want to stop for the red lights at major intersections? This is what causes the gridlocks when drivers continue going when there is no room to go so they get stuck blocking the intersection. One lady actually stood in the middle of the street trying to direct traffic and get the drivers to stop at the red light before blocking the intersection. She was very brave but it was a futile effort. She kept yelling for the drivers to stop but they wouldn't! I was hoping she wouldn't get hit! The streets were snow covered and slippery. Finally, a policeman took over and had a little more success than the lady did.

It snowed the whole day and Gerard had to drive home in white-out conditions. On days like this, I am thankful I take the bus. Although I had to wait 50 minutes for the bus to come, at least I was in a bus shelter, dressed warm enough that I wasn't cold at all and even was able to sit down to wait for it. Mostly, I was worried about Gerard because I was in good shape. When my bus came, I could sit back and read my book while praying for Gerard to make it home safely. It normally takes me an hour to get home, but yesterday it took me 2 1/2 hours.

I shoveled the front while Gerard walked Abby, then watched The Biggest Loser and didn't go near the computer. Gerard shoveled the drive in the back and watched the end of the Celtics game. We were both so glad to finally be home and get to relax!

Doesn't this make you want to move to Cleveland?  Gerard said this morning he wishes he were retired right now and living in Florida! 

(Pictures taken on my afternoon break.  It was 27 degrees and fortunately, not a strong wind.  Didn't take any pictures at the bus stop because I was focused on waiting for Gerard's call so held onto my cell phone.)

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard

9 comments:

Junk Drawer Kathy said...

Oh, how thankful I am that a big snow hasn't hit us in eastern PA yet. I hate driving in snow, but not because I'm no good at it. I'm awesome at it. It's the idiots out there who act like the roads are perfectly dry. That lady was not very smart standing out in the intersection, prone like that. But I understand her frustration. Glad a cop took over.

I pray you don't have anymore 2.5 hour commutes this winter! And way to go Gerard for doing all the shoveling after a hard time getting home.

I do not want to move to Cleveland.

Rebecca said...

I'm directly east of you, so we got clobbered, too. Ah, that Lake Effect snow.... we got about 4 feet here. I love it. I don't mind driving in it, but I would NOT like to drive through the city. I have compassion on Gerard!

Like Kathy, I am AWESOME at driving in the snow. It's the OTHER MANIACS that make it difficult! ;)

Empty Nester said...

No. I do not want to move to Cleveland. I was up there once, while in college. A group went up over Christmas with friends who lived up there but went to college down here. I have never been so cold in my life! I had on layers and layers all covered up by a full length wool coat, scarf, hat, gloves, boots....and I felt like I had on nothing at all once that wind hit me. But, now, those whiskey sours at Cap't Franks were pretty good at adding warmth! LOL

BeadedTail said...

That's a lot of snow but thankfully you both made it home safely! Does Abby like to play in the snow? We hardly get any snow here but it rains all winter. I don't think I'll ever live anywhere again that gets lots of snow. Had plenty of that living in Colorado and Kansas.

Stay safe and warm!

Sandee said...

I wouldn't want to live in snow country. Ever. I'm a fair weather kind of gal.

Just stay safe the both of you and have a terrific day. :)

Sharkbytes said...

We have had snow all week, but nothing that really slowed things down. Supposed to be more tonight, and maybe nastier this weekend. Glad you all got home safely.

Mike Golch said...

being retired is not allt that great either.especially if your retirement income is not all that great(as my disability retirement is)things like a house note,gas electrick water and sewer take a hugh chunk.Oh I almost forgot the montly maintence fee of our condo association. But being out driving it the snow strom was not a pleasant thing to do as well.

Daisy said...

Daisy's "mom" here:
We had a little cold front here this week (lows in the upper 40s and highs around 60). It was so funny to see everyone at work all bundled up in their big parkas and boots for this weather!

Mountain Woman said...

I'm right with you on driving and snow. We've had very little snow here this year but lots of ice and I haven't driven in a few weeks. Too scary for sure. Stay safe.

Post a Comment