Friday, December 31, 2010

5 Things I Learned This Week #102 (health, P.O., jokes, books)


The Great Outdoors

When reading I'm Outnumbered by Laura Lee Groves, I read this following quote from Last Child In the Woods by Richard Louv that I found very interesting:
A growing body of evidence indicates that direct exposure to nature is essential for physical and emotional health. For example, new studies suggest that exposure to nature may reduce the symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and that it can improve all childrens cognitive abilities and resistance to negative stresses and depression.
I MUST get out more!  (My review is at Grab A Book From Our Stack.)

Post Office

When going for stamps, I discovered the convenient post office in the building across the street from where I work is permanently closed. There is another one not too far, but I don't know if I'd have time to go there on break.

Health

I noticed in one of the Yahoo news articles, Sitting Shortens Your Lifespan that "even if you exercise every day, sitting for long periods can shorten your life span. . . . Recent studies have shown that sitting for prolonged periods of time can increase your risk for serious health issues, such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, and possibly cancer--even if you exercise on a daily basis." This is NOT good news for me.



Jokes

Gerard learned a couple animal jokes when he went to the zoo from the tram driver:
Where do kangaroos go for breakfast?

Why is it hard to get a card game going in the jungle?
ANSWERS:
iHop and because of all the cheetahs
The New Year's celebration at the Cleveland Zoo is at noon today. (Lions at the zoo looking up at the ball they are dropping at noon.)

Gerard's Favorite Book

I learned that Gerard's favorite book ever is Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult when I asked him to answer few questions for a Book Tag which will post this week on our book blog. If you like to read, sure hope you visit Grab A Book From Our Stack. We post a book review almost every day! A list of his favorite reads of 2010 is up now and mine will go up about 7 p.m. tonight. Have you learned anything new about your husband lately?

Find more Friday Fragments here.

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard

6 comments:

Kay said...

i love your parka pic, it makes me think of my father scooping snow!

i happen to love those zoo jokes, i am going to toss them at my children for breakfast today. i can't wait!!

we do enjoy the great outdoors, but i also tend to sit for a long period of time. my oldest son needs lots of large motor time outside to assist with his attitude and attention span.

such a bummer to have a PO close on your like that!! having something like that close is essential for me!

BeadedTail said...

Those zoo jokes were funny! Are you going to the celebration at the zoo today?

I sit way too much inside so I have a double whammy! Dang jobs!

Hope you and Gerard, Abby, Spunky Doodle and Manny have a happy and healthy 2011!

Mrs4444 said...

Loved the jokes-I sent them to my principal, who reads a daily "lame joke" over the P.A. Thanks :)

Looking good in here, BTW.

I actually started reading a book this week! In fact, I read one and started another. One is called ReThinking Homework and is obviously for school. The other is The Help, which I read until 2:30am last night.

Oh-oh! We're BOTH in trouble. At least we'll die happy :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND GERARD!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

My silly husband thought that Kangaroos ate breakfast in Australia. hahaha! Thanks for the jokes, they were groaners lol

Oh dear - I'm a sitter. Hours and hours a day, I sit.

Kristin - The Goat

qandlequeen said...

Stopping by to wish you a happy new year!

Doreen McGettigan said...

I love the jokes and cannot wait to share them with the kids..
I am still upset the Post Office took away all the vending machines, now in my town the lines are endless.
I wish you both the very best and blessed New Year!

Post a Comment