Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm Afraid--The Dentist Is Going To Hurt Me!

Several months ago while eating breakfast, my upper back tooth broke off. It just hurt a little bit for a couple days and then it did not bother me at all. Naturally, being the procrastinator I am when it comes to dentist visits, I just went on about my business. Last week though, it started hurting several days in a row--all week, so I mustered up my courage and made a dentist appointment.  I figured it wasn't going to hurt any less if I keep ignoring it so I better get it fixed. Last Saturday, I actually went! We have one just one street over so Gerard and Abby walked me up there.

The assistant took an x-ray of all my teeth. At first, she tried using a little camera inside my mouth that was too big and made me gag. I have a little mouth and dentists always complain about it, the few times I have gone. I have not been to the dentist in over 15 years. The last time was for a root canal. Can you blame me for not wanting to return after that?

Dr. Judy confirmed my suspicion that the tooth should come out. It's my last wisdom tooth.  After all that, she said she was going to refer me to an oral surgeon because he has the right tools to get it out easily.  She gave me three choices--naturally I picked the closest one to home.  I left disappointed because I thought I would get it taken care of on the weekend.  Now I had to make another appointment and muster up my courage all over again.  I called as soon as I got home, but the office was closed and the answering service told me to call on Monday.  I did and since they had a cancellation, was able to get an appointment for this morning.

These are the verses that came to mind today:

Have not I commanded thee?  Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed:  for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. --Joshua 1:8

He is with me too!  ...for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee, So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
--Hebrews 13:5b-6

Hopefully, I will update this post with some happy results later today, or maybe tomorrow depending how I'm feeling.

Tweet This
Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Oooh, I hate teeths! They cause trouble for everybuddy. Good luck today.

Lin said...

I hope you get good news too! Nobody likes the dentist! Especially when you know you have to have a procedure done.

Rebecca said...

Those are marvelous scriptures to see you through! I pray you have good success-- and no pain!

Sandee said...

I refer to my dentist as Dr. Painless. I go to the dentist three times a year for cleaning. Don't mind a bit. I do hope that your day goes much better than you fear. :)

BeadedTail said...

Hope everything went okay today! Most people don't like going to a dentist, especially knowing they have to endure having a wisdom tooth pulled. Hope it wasn't near as bad as you anticipated!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I'm just now getting caught up on blogs for the week :) :) So you'll probably have the "results" post already posted by the time I finish this :) :) That's a blessing that you could get in so early to have it fixed!!! I hope you feel better now. I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out at once while I was still living in Germany. They didn't necessarily need to come out...but because I was had German health insurance...EVERYTHING I did was covered...including this visit, which would have cost me a couple thousand if I'd payed myself out of pocket...Anyway, I was lucky and didn't have much bruising ...very little...As it turns out, it was a good thing I did, because one of my wisdom teeth was totally impacted (growing sideways). I hope you are feeling better. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Post a Comment