Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What's Your Hobby--I Used To Paint

The Bayou on the left painted by me.

The book copy on the right.


My mom used to watch Bill Alexander paint pictures on TV and he would tell what he was doing as he went along. My dad knew she liked watching the show and built her an easel, made a palette, bought some oil paint, brushes and some of his books for her so she could paint. The books showed a picture with step-by-step instructions on how to paint it. After watching her do it, I wanted to try it too.

"Hunter's Cabin" by me on the left.
The book copy of "Hunter's Cabin" on the right.




My mom and I got many hours of enjoyment from this hobby. As we would finish paintings, dad would build frames for them. The only problem was that we ran out of space to put them. It sure was fun to do though, even if they didn't look exactly like the pictures in the book. I specifically remember doing the "Bayou" and "Hunter's Cabin." We laughed so hard at our attempts to get it just right. The Bayou went pretty will until it was time to put in the canoe with the person in it. The "Hunter's Cabin" one we did twice and couldn't get the cabin the same size as the picture.

Here is a little slide show of the pictures I painted:
Visit www.moblyng.com to make your own!


I only did one original of my own which was supposed to be a camp site. Again, I had a hard time when it came to putting in people. When I was painting, I noticed things more and found myself thinking, "I could paint this sky or that tree." I would look at a sunset or dawn and actually see the different colors in the sky.

Unfortunately, when clearing out dad's house after he died, I threw out the easel. You can read about it and see three paintings my mom did at Are You Sure You Want To Throw That Away? at "My Funny Dad, Harry.

What hobbies do you enjoy or have you given up and why?

12 comments:

Dragonblogger said...

I loved oil painting, when I was a teenager I used to watch Bob Ross and try to paint landscapes using his style and technique. I haven't done oil paintings in around 15 years, and have only done 3, but I did enjoy it and always appreciate a fine oil painting.

Daisy said...

That seems like a great hobby. Do you think you will ever take it up again?

Sandee said...

How cool Karen. I would love to be able to paint. I just don't have a creative bone in my body.

Hobby...Boating and blogging. Okay through a few good books in there too.

Have a terrific day Karen. :)

BeadedTail said...

I've always wished I could paint but it just wasn't meant to be. My hobby is making jewelry and I really enjoy it.

Mike Golch said...

My hobbies are blogging,the Hammered Dulcimer.If I could only play it better than I do.

Tracey said...

I just visited Red Pine Mountain's blog and read about your diagnosis Karen. I will keep you in my prayers.
Take care,
Tracey

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Dragonblogger: I remember another guy used to be on too but forget his name, maybe it was Bob Ross. I bet your kids would like painting!

Daisy: I would like to do it again but like I said, we just don't have enough wall space to hang them all. These are mostly just stored away in the basement where i don't even see them. I did have them up but replaced them with poster sized enlargements of our cats and us.

Sandee: Thanks for your prayers! This was such an easy way to paint because the instructions were broken down into little steps.

Beaded Tail: Thanks for your prayers! Yes, I've seen your jewelry on your blog. I can tell you get a lot of enjoyment from making it.

Mike: I never knew anyone who played the Dulcimer.

Tracey: Thanks for your prayers! Much appreciated.

Jen said...

Hello Karen! I just came over from Red Pine Mountain. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Beautiful blog, by the way!

Jen

Stephanie said...

You are a very talented painter :) I hope that you can start it up again some time and show us some more originals!

Karen, author of "My funny Dad, Harry" said...

JStanton Chandler: Thanks for your prayer.

SLColman: Who knows? Maybe some day I will.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Beautiful! If you ever want to have a sale, I'll be happy to purchase Hunter's Cabin. Just reminds me so much of here.

Mrs4444 said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy time with your mom. Sweet...

Post a Comment