Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What Do You Do At Lunch . . . Besides Eat?

One nice thing about working in downtown Cleveland is that there are several nice garden spots within walking distance of my building where I can go to read at lunch time. Here is a picture of the closest one which is always open. When we had 80 degree temperatures the second last week of April, this is where I went to read. It's less than a 5-minute walk away and is sort of sheltered from the wind.

This is a picture of the Cleveland Public Library garden which is my favorite lunch time get-away; a 10-minute walk. It has a big bird bath in the middle and it's fun to watch both the birds and the squirrels. It opens the first week of May and stays open I believe through October. Many people enjoy this peaceful are in the midst of their work day.

Lastly, about a 15-minute walk away is the wide open grassy mall with benches, flower borders and a big fountain. I usually don't go here to read because the benches are uncomfortable, but it makes for a very nice place to walk.



How do you break up your work day? Do you actually take time for an hour lunch (Gerard only gets a half hour)? It really is a good idea to get out for awhile and stretch your legs, get some fresh air and give yourself a break.

8 comments:

BeadedTail said...

What lovely choices you have for getting out and about on your lunch hour! I work from home so I usually just get away from my computer and play with the cats or take Sadie outside in the yard or for a walk if it's not too hot.

Lin said...

That's great that you can get out into the fresh air for awhile at work. I only work part-time so I always just eat at my desk. My husband works downtown Chicago and has so many cool opportunities like fests and such. Always something fun going on there--I'm soooo jealous!

Sandee said...

Parks are a great place to unwind. I used to do this too. I'm no longer working, but still enjoy visiting a nice park. Good for you.

Have a terrific day. :)

The Florida Furkids said...

Great lunch spots! Mom sometimes eats at her computer desk (with us helping, of course!)


Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

liza said...

Those are good places to read a book. I often read while I'm at the store. :)

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Beaded Tail: Cats and dogs are a nice break from the computer too. Lately, we've had damp cloudy weather so I've been staying inside at lunch. It helps break up the day to go out though.

Lin: Even part-timers should leave the desk at lunch--helps productivity to come back refreshed. I imagine Chicago would give lots of options for lunch activity.

Sandee: I like parks . . . at least so far it is one place we can still go for free.

Furkidsmom: You should get your mom to break for lunch AWAY from the computer. Crumbs could get into the keyboard or worse yet, she may spill something on it! Would not be good.

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm retired now but when I was working, I'd head to the gym (which was close by) and swim laps. It always left me refreshed and not quite so hungry and ready to face the hectic afternoon.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Mountain Woman: When I was a member at Fitworks, I used to work out at lunch on some days, mostly during the winter when it wasn't nice enough to sit outside and read. There' a Fitworks right across the street from where I work.

Post a Comment