Friday, June 12, 2009

7 Things I Learned This Week of 2009--Part 23

Get Your Blog Analyzed


When I checked out the discussion forum on Blogging Tips at Book Blogs I learned about using website.grader.com to analyze my blogs for free. Wow, it is great, quick and easy! It gives you a lot of information and also suggestions on thing to do to improve your blog plus a grade. This blog got an 85, my Zemeks' Updates got a 91 and My Funny Dad, Harry got an 86. It said though that Google thinks that my blogs with the www. and without are two different blogs and so my traffic count is split. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Cat Information

From reading The Ultimate Cat Lover, The Best Experts' Advice for a Happy, Healthy Cat with Stories and Photos of Fabulous Felines by Marty Becker D.V.M, I learned the following:
  • www.bestfriends.org (pictures of the pet rescue of New Orleans after the hurricane);

  • www.help4pets.com and www.thecenterforlostpets.com (both these have advice on how to prevent loss or find a runaway pet).

  • A foundation that is an identification system for pets in any emergency, such as lost, house fire, car accident, natural disaster, travel emergencies, can be reached at 1-800-HELP-4-PETS.

  • It's best to let the cat go or stop petting it before it gets antsy so it will want more.

  • When taking pictures of cats, for best results indoors use a flash and get to their level. Try to have plain background but incorporate windows or plants in the shot to give a feeling of outdoors.
I recommend this book to all cat owners!

Book Blogs


While doing my EC drops last Friday, I came across a badge for Book Blogs and decided to check it out. This is a site for bloggers who read books, review books, promote books and write books so I thought I would join since I read a lot and do book reviews on my blog. See the badge on my left side bar by what we're reading now?

Kevine Laue--What Determination!


At Strong and Fit I learned about Kevine Laue, a one-armed college basketball player! What a great inspirational story.

Time to Weigh-In


When reading Health Nut Wannabee Mom, I learned that the best time to get weighed to get your most accurate reading is before breakfast in the morning while nude. To maintain weight, it's good to weigh in every day. Health Nut Wannabee Mom also said we should eat breakfast every day before 8 a.m. and within 15-30 minutes of waking up. (This is something I don't do--I eat breakfast, but usually get up at 4 a.m. and don't eat until 5:30 a.m.). What about you?

Reducing Stress


At Beyond Horizons I found a great list of things we can do to reduce stress in our lives the Christian way in a two-part post. I think it's worth checking out because I do many of these things and find it works. One thing I would add to the list, however, would be to pet and play with your pets!

Find Your Best Friend--a Pet


Tomorrow at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is "Meet Your Best Friend Day" at the Zoo's ticket plaza. This is a free event from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. with over 100 adoptable dogs and cats from over 20 area shelters and rescue groups with pet care information and giveaways. Gerard and I go every year--it's fantastic! Each year we are tempted to bring home a dog. One of these days, I'm sure it will happen. We're trying to hold out until we retire. If you're in the area, why not go and see what's available. There may be one or two that will catch your eye and steal your heart! Bring cash just in case.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

That cat book sounds awesome! We support Best Friends because they are a great organization.

Modern Mom said...

great list of new things to learn. Thanks for sharing.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Great post with lots of information. I'm off to the blog analyzer right now.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Just had to come back to let you know that website analyzer is really wonderful. I got an 89 and it showed me where I'm strong and where I'm weak. Only problem is I don't understand some of the things to fix :) Thanks for that link!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Daisy, Yes, this is a very good cat book!

Modern Mom: Glad you liked the list!

Mountain Woman: I know what you mean, I have the same problem but some I understood and could fix.

Post a Comment