Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pearl--The Perfect Dog For Us?


Well, it happened again. When we went to the zoo's "Meet Your Best Friend Day" where many shelters and rescue groups bring their adoptable pets, we found Pearl, a dog we both liked a lot! She was a Beagle/Basset Hound mix that is 10 years old, a calm, friendly, laid back dog. She wasn't at all interested in Leo, (one of our many stuffed animals), cute, loved to be pet, and was a low energy medium-sized dog that would be happy spending time watching TV with Gerard or going for walks.

Sticking with my plan of not making impulse purchases, we did not bring along any money. It's just that as we continued walking around the zoo, I couldn't get her off my mind. We stopped back to see if anyone adopted her before we left and no one had. She seemed like she'd be perfect for us! My only concern was if she would be okay just going out 3 times a day and being left alone for 10 hours while we were at work. We took another picture of her and said a sad good-bye.

I posted about her on Facebook and after three of my friends encouraged me to get her, I suggested to Gerard that I think we should try to adopt her after all. I completed the online application and we waited to hear back. Finally, Tuesday night we got a call from the lady that was most familiar with Pearl. Unfortunately, she has a medical condition of incontinence. Although housebroken, she sometimes just can't control her pee and sometimes wakes up in a little puddle. She gets medication every day but it doesn't completely solve the problem. Being a senior dog, she is well passed the crate stage and wouldn't like being in one all the while we were at work. I reluctantly admitted that she probably wasn't the right dog for us then.

The woman was very nice and thanked me for being realistic because when they do place Pearl in a home, they really want it to work out well for her and it to be her final home. The lady recommended that we check on Pet Finders and also perhaps the Cleveland Sanctuary for Senior Dogs. Although we didn't get Pearl, she opened me to more actively look for a perfect dog for us. Gerard really wants to be a dog owner!

8 comments:

Mary said...

I hate that it didn't work out for you and Pearl. She would have been a very lucky dog to have you guys as parents. Hope you find another that works.

Daisy said...

Best of luck in finding the perfect doggie for you. I think adopting an older dog would be awesome!

Sandee said...

I would have adopted Pearl in a not second. She needs someone the very most. I'm a big sap like that.

Have a terrific day. :)

Sandee said...

I meant in a HOT second. Geez. :)

BeadedTail said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out with Pearl but I hope you are able to find another senior dog who will be a perfect fit.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Karen, I own 7 dogs, I've trained dogs for years, I've competed in obedience and agility with dogs so I consider myself pretty knowledgeable. I'm not sure you have the best situation for a dog because your cats are so happy and relaxed and you work. If Gerard is home during the day, that would make a difference but dogs require lots of time and any dog you bring in, older, puppy, whatever creates an entirely different set of problems.
I think you are doing a wise thing by waiting.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Mary, Daisy, Beaaded Tail:
We found another dog through Pet Finder that we hope works. We can have her for a week trial period to see. We're going to meet her Saturday so watch for my post about Gabby.

Sandee: Pearl was a real sweetheart, I'm surprised nobody adopted her from that zoo event but if we were retired, it would be different.

Mountain Woman: Oh, oh. Now you got me scared. I do not want to upset our cats. I keep hearing different things from different people so I figure the best way is to give it a try a see. We are getting Gabby Saturday and can keep her for a week on a trial basis to see how it goes. She is overweight but that is the only health problem. Watch for my Saturday evening post about her.

benbes said...

I hope you will find another dog just like pearl, sorry you were not lucky because of the condition, buit i am sure you will find a nice dog you like.

melamine dinnerware

Post a Comment