Friday, March 30, 2012

5 Things We Learned This Week 14 of 2012 (animals, weight, exercise, brain, war)

 
Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. We like to share what we've learned each week.
  1. Lose Pounds Overnight

    My husband discovered that if he does something active after 6 p.m., he can lose 2-3 pounds overnight! He eats supper around 4:30 when he gets home and then has a light snack sometime during the evening. He doesn't know if this will work for everyone, but it works for him!
  2. Alligator Snapping Turtle

    This is a short informative video from behind-the-scenes at the Cincinnati zoo with an alligator snapping turtle.  I didn't even know there was such a creature and now I also know it eats mice! The male stays in the water his whole life and the female only comes out to lay her eggs.


  3. (50 cents per legitimate comment during March goes to The American Cancer Society by sponsoring Mrs 4444 and Lucky Lady in The Race For Life.)
  4. Exercise

    I came across an article in Women's Health that listed Ten Exercise Machines to Avoid with a suggested alternative exercise. I was surprised it had the leg extension machine listed because it was hard on the knees. It seems my knees hurt less when I keep up with doing that one. When I asked a friend about this who is going to get certified to be a personal trainer, I got this response:  
    Wow what a DUMB article! Why would they recommend doing sit-squats which keeps ALL of your weight free-floating on your knees rather than sitting on that machine that you LIKE-which is FAR more stable and isolating to the area you want to work on??!
    My easy answer- keep doing the machine that you like. It is a better machine for an area of your body that needs the help.
    I do suggest lowering the amount of weight you use by a plate or two and try turning your legs slightly inward and outward with your sets. This will use different quadricep muscles. Also, you can point your toes or "dorsiflex" your toes on the movements to change it up.
    Give it a try!
    That exercise they were recommending is VERY difficult and "advanced".
    No reason to switch or "confuse" your muscles if the seated leg curl is working for you. 
  5. Brain Training

    When reading "How Brain Training Can Make You Significantly Smarter" it said researches have come up with a brain training program called luminosity that you can participate in online.
  6. War

    Until I read Home Front by Kristin Hannah, I never realized that some military personnel actually have the job of picking up blown off human body parts--ugh! This is a book both Gerard and I liked very much about a family of four that had a shaky marriage, two girls, and the wife gets deployed to Iraq. She is a helicopter pilot in the reserves. This is one of our favorite reads of this month!

 Share this:

7 comments:

Elin said...

Wow! You learn something new every day. I never knew there was an alligator snapping turtle. What an amazing creature...I wouldn't like to get too close though!

Wayne W Smith said...

That was a very interesting YouTube clip. Mother nature never tends to disappoint me though.

BeadedTail said...

That's quite a turtle! I saw that book last time we were at Costco and meant to look it up at the library so thanks for reminding me. I love her books!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Elin: I don't learn something new every day but usually some things during a week.

Wayne: Glad you liked the turtle clip. I'm posting a real good video tomorrow that one of my friends posted on Facebook. The post is "Don't Judge by Looks."

Beaded Tail: HOME FRONT is very good. Jolene has a brattty tweeb and a cute 4-yr-old daughter. It's one of our favorite reads for March--Gerard really liked it too, which surprised me. He usually likes more action/adventure type books. He was very sympathetic to the husband and I was more sympathetic to the wife. I thought it interesting how we both had different impressions about the people. He also liked the girls, but I didn't like the older girl at all.

Hootin Anni said...

That is SOOOOOOOOOO interesting about the turtle. I too never knew it existed 'til you shared with us. Hmmmm, as for #5, I'm not sure I'd even want that job. But someone has to do it...sad, but true.

Actingbalanced said...

Great frags this week! Had never heard of that turtle either!

Mrs4444 said...

As long as YOU don't pick up Gerard's lost pounds during the night, I support him 100%!haha

Your friend sounds like a smart cookie in the right line of work.

I've checked Luminosity out in the past. There are lots of free apps that do the same, too. One of these days, I'll have time to use them!

Thanks for making a difference, Karen :)

Post a Comment