Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wow, I Didn't Know That!

Last week I finished the Bible study by Beth Moore called James--Mercy Triumphs.  I really enjoyed this study and learned several things about James that I did not know.  I also enjoyed some insights that Beth and her daughter pointed out in the workbook.  Although this is a workbook, there wasn't a whole lot of blanks to fill in.  Most of it was Beth and her daughter, Melissa sharing the meaning of the words, putting it into context, sharing examples of how to put the teachings into practice in our lives.

Before this study, all I knew about James was the he was a half brother of Jesus.  This study challenged me to think about what it might have been like for James living with the Messiah and having Jesus for an older brother.  He would have been a tough act to follow!  I also learned that James became a pillar in the Christian community and was the leader of the church in Jerusalem where the followers of Christ were Jewish and many poverty stricken.   
All of the brothers came to believe in Jesus as the Christ by the time they met in the upper room in Acts 1:14.  Yet only one emerged as a leader and, far more impressively, one of three "pillars." p.31
It was very interesting that over and over in the book of James, he reiterates many of the things Jesus talked about but in his own words.

Some of the teachings in James that really stood out to me when going through this study are:

But ask in faith, nothing wavering.  For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.  For let not that man think he shall receive anything of the Lord.  (Js. 1:6-7)
This is the verse that kept going through my mind when I was praying for our dog, Abby, when she was attacked and in critical shape.  I kept telling my husband he HAS to believe she will be okay. 

We who have are to open our hands in complete humility to those who don't.  p. 54

I didn't realize the command to Love your neighbor as yourself is mentioned so often.  (Lev. 19:18, Matthew 22:40, Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:13-14; James 2:8)  Loving God and loving others does not equal hating ourselves after all. p. 92

The wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without favortism and hypocrisy.  James 3:17
Harsh people are never wise.  Gentleness goes along with wisdom and understanding. pg. 123


Beth Moore challenged us to memorize all five chapters of James and I decided, that with God's help, I would do it.  I have memorized the first two chapters and am working on chapter three right now.  I have to think really hard though about what comes next so it takes me twenty minutes to quote just the first to chapters.  I am going to work on increasing my speed.

Here's some of my favorite lines:

The Word of God, however, is meant to do more than penetrate.  It's meant to activate. p. 78

Because we know Jesus Christ as Savior, our practices manifest our devotion to Him.  p. 83

Faith and favortism don't mix.  p. 97


God will never call you to sacrifice your intimacy with Him on the altar of ministry.  p. 111  (This was confirmation for me that I did the right thing giving up my Sunday School class in order to participate in a Bible study with other women that I am learning so much from.)

The Devil is trying to steal from you and destroy you and make it look like it was all your idea.  So, Girlfriend, submit to God.  She listed 8 great reasons to submit to God on p. 143.  My favorite reason is his unconditional love for me and that I can trust Him for my future because he knows it already and will get me there.

People who walk in the Spirit judge "things."  Not people.  p. 147

There is so much more I gained from this study, but I think this is long enough so I just encourage you to study the book of James and recommend James--Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore. 

(50 cents per legitimate comment during March goes to The American Cancer Society by sponsoring Mrs 4444 and Lucky Lady in The Race For Life.)

 Share this:

5 comments:

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Looks like a good book!

Karen and Gerard said...

It is!

BeadedTail said...

Memorize five chapters? I've never read anything like that but that sounds really hard to do.

Unknown said...

I met a young man once who had memorized the WHOLE NEW TESTAMENT! Of course, he was young, wasn't married, and did nothing else. I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast, let alone a whole book. I've read a number of Beth Moore books and like how she talks as if you are in the same room with her, friend to friend.
Rosemary

Karen and Gerard said...

Beaded Tail: It's not easy but takes discipline. With God's help though, I know I can do it because it's definitely within his will. It takes patience too, just doing a verse at a time, writing it out, reviewing them, typing them from memory and checking to make sure I got it right. That's key, not to memorize it wrong. I think I'll do a post on how to memorize. Beth Moore is very motivational and gave tips as to how she did it on the DVD that goes with this study.

Steadfast Ahoy: That's amazing, the whole N.T.! I like Beth Moore's stories and her friendly way of talking too.

Post a Comment