Saturday, November 12, 2011

Who Knew You Could Fit So Much In A Shoebox?


It's time for Operation Christmas Child again! It's the project through Samaritan's Purse that gets a gift to children living in poverty areas worldwide. Samaritan's Purse was started by Franklin Graham, son of the evangelist, Billy Graham. Franklin's autobiography, Rebel With a Cause tells about its beginnings and what a story it is! Anyhow, this year we got a box together for a boy age 10-14. Every year I misjudge the amount of items that can fit in the shoebox. On my first trip to Marc's, I was a bit short so went shopping at Dollar Store for a few more items and fit everything in except one washcloth. Here is the list of everything we fit in our little shoe box:

1 Broncos football jersey     
3 white t-shirts 
1 pair of sox         
1 bag of balloons (hey, they're fun!) 
1 Nerf ball
 1 toothbrush 
1 Colgate toothpaste
2 washcloths 
3 packs of gum
1 pen 
1 notepad
1 cute rubber lizard
1 bag of Skittles (can't send chocolate)

Our church is a collection location and participates in this project every year.  Last year our small Adult Bible Fellowship (Adult Sunday School class) all worked together to pack boxes which was a fun project!  Here's is the link to the Operation Christmas Child page where you can learn more and participate too!  If you donate the $7 for postage online, you get a barcoded label for your box that they can track to let you know where your box went.

Share this:

10 comments:

Yvonne said...

Nice idea. That reminds me that I need to do the angel tree again this year. It's a good feeling to give to others. As for comments. I have more followers now, but less comments, so go figure. I have a lot of people that stop by for a visit, but unless my post is about a crisis, the comments are sparse. I think when people follow many blogs, they kind of breeze through the posts and are gone, poof! I think it's mostly about lack of time or interest of the single post (I hope, lol). I try especially hard to leave a comment each time I read, but it's getting harder the more blogs I read. Glad I stopped by yours. Thanks for leaving a comment on mine.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I've always wanted to do this, but the cost of the postage always does me in. But I love the idea of being able to give something personally, to a child.

Mrs4444 said...

I love OCC. I also love St. Judes, so I'm glad to see they're your charity these days :)

Cute pic!

BeadedTail said...

The recipient if going to enjoy getting that box full of goodies! Although, maybe he would have like a Chiefs jersey better? Just kidding! It's wonderful you are doing this to brighten a child's Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by! I don't put my Christmas tree up until after thanksgiving either, it's just that... Thanksgiving in Canada is second Monday of October... so yeah, it was a month ago. My tree went up Oct. 29th haha.

It's so great your doing Operation Christmas Child. I decided against it this year, just because I am sending gifts to all my sponser gifts and there is only so much I can afford, but I wish I could! You've got a great sounding box! I know some child is going to love that and feel very special when they receive it!

Daisy said...

What a great idea! My Mommeh always likes doing the Christmas angel tree; it's fun shopping for someone and knowing you are making their Christmas a little happier.

Anonymous said...

I love OCC! I have been the organizer of the collection at several churches we have been at and was going to go to Mexico to help deliver but.....life got in the way. A couple of my friends went and it was a great experience. I can not say enough about it so I was glad you highlighted it!!! That is wonderful. I even did it when we were in Australia as they had collection points there too.

Lin said...

You have such a BIG heart, Karen! I love how you stuck in some fun stuff in there too. :) Your box is sure to bring a smile to some lucky child!

Sandee said...

We do a big toy drive every year too. For our local children where our yacht club is (Rio Vista, CA). Been doing toys for tots for years too. It's a wonderful thing to do.

Have a terrific day. :)

MarytheKay said...

I really LOVE this Christmas tradition!! Our daughters always fill a shoebox each for a girl...so your "boy stuff" sounds really fun to me! What boy wouldn't LOVE a football jersey?!! What a fun idea!

Post a Comment