Friday, May 13, 2011

My First Car—A Sad Tale (Writer’s Workshop)

I was thrilled to get my own car when I graduated high school. It was a gift from my aunts and was used but I didn’t care. It was not at all sporty, but it worked and got me around where I wanted to go, mostly to church, Dairy Queen, bowling and softball. It was a Rambler which isn’t even made anymore, boy do I feel old!

I felt really bad when I woke up one day after a storm during the night to see this:
It was completely covered!  The second picture is of the flattened roof!

A tree in our neighbor’s yard got struck by lightening and crashed down right on top of my little Rambler, caving in the roof! Although I had comprehensive insurance on it, the insurance didn’t cover the damage because it was consider “an act of God” which was listed as an exclusion on my policy. I don’t really remember how long I had that car, but it didn’t take me very long to go find another used car.


This post is in response to Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop to write about your first car.

14 comments:

Dianna said...

That's too sad about your car!! My Mom also had a Rambler - hers was blue. I always said it looked like a blue frog.

Karen said...

My grandma had a Rambler. You pushed buttons to start it. She used a board to prop up the front seat because the seat was broken. Thanks for helping me remember that car and my grandma.

Jessica said...

Oh that's terrible that your first car was damaged and your insurance didn't cover it.

Anonymous said...

My wife had a Rambler when I first met her.

I never knew that God didn't like Ramblers until now :-)

Paulette said...

What a sad ending for you car. Funny how ins didn't cover an act of God. Seriously.

BeadedTail said...

Oh wow! That'd be awful to find your car crushed under a tree! It's too bad the insurance didn't cover it either. My first car isn't being made any more either - I got a 1980 Pontiac Trans Am for my 16th birthday and they stopped being made awhile ago. I'm old!

Karen and Gerard said...

Dianna said: That's too sad about your car!! My Mom also had a Rambler - hers was blue. I always said it looked like a blue frog.

Karen and Gerard said...

Jessica said:

Oh that's terrible that your first car was damaged and your insurance didn't cover it.

Karen and Gerard said...

RonJoe said:
My wife had a Rambler when I first met her.

I never knew that God didn't like Ramblers until now :-)

Karen and Gerard said...

Paulette said:
What a sad ending for you car. Funny how ins didn't cover an act of God. Seriously.

Karen and Gerard said...

Beaded Tail: I know--I was bummed and not happy the insurance was useless. I remember the TransAms. Pretty sporty!

When Blogger went AWOL for a day and a half, I lost this post along with the comments and had to repost it. I salvaged the comments from my email notifications that were lost.

Dianna: A blue frog? Mine looked more like a box. It was light green.

RonJoe:
I didn't know that either. . . so sad to see it crunched.
http://ronjoewhite.blogspot.com/

Paulette (http://mspdrama.blogspot.com/):
It didn't take long for me to go find a used car to replace it, but yeah, the insurance was useless!

Jessica (http://www.mytimeasmom.com/):
It was a sad end for my car. I felt bad especially since it had been a gift!

Ann in the UP said...

Oh, that's a sad story. I can still remember that feeling of freedom, being able to solo in the car though. I even felt that way in the spring when I could take off on my bike, for that matter.

(I got enough comments to send the money for the goat! I am so pleased!) Thanks for the good idea!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

That would certainly be an unusual way to lose your car.

Claudya Martinez said...

Oh no, what a sad end.

Post a Comment