Friday, May 20, 2011

6 Things We Learned This Week 20 of 2011 (history, religion, cats, Synesthesis, food)

History

Do you know who was the only woman hanged in the U.S.? Gerard found out it was Mary Surratt when he read The Mary Surratt "Lincoln Assassination Trial" by Bryna J. Fireside this week.  Click the link to read Gerard's review of this.

Prayer Flags

I never knew about the Buddhist prayer flags until I saw a picture and read about them over at Red Pine Mountain. I kind of like the idea of using flags to remind people to pray. The wind blowing them giving blessings to everyone is a nice thought too, but I doubt if it really happens. I guess there are a lot of Buddist in Vermont. Mountain Woman said shes sees them everywhere.

1,000 Cats/Kitten Sanctuary

I just discovered another amazing animal sanctuary for cats and 30 dogs in California: Cat House On The Kings. This would be my dream job!  Lynea Lattanzio is the founder and has 23 volunteers to help her on 6 acres.  I wouldn't think the cats would want to get adopted when they have this place:










Synesthesia

Do you know what Synesthesia is?  From reading Out Of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper, I learned that Synesthesia is the condition in which a person may be able to hear colors or visualize flavors when music is played (Classical blue, purple; Country-yellow, Elevator music-gray). This book is about a 5th grade girl with Cerebral Palsy who longs to fit it with "normal" kids and makes the school's quiz team. My review will be posted over at Grab A Book From Our Stack this evening.

Sauerkraut

I was surprised to learn that 7 out of 13 people who commented on A Food I Abhor actually like sauerkraut! It never ceases to amaze me how a food post gets so many comments!



UPDATED 8:50 P.M.--Oops, I forgot something, 1 more thing:

Vote For Irene

America can vote for the 3rd finalist for "The Biggest Loser" at www.nbc.com. Hope you go vote for Irene over Jay--she deserves it! You have until 9 a.m. ET Monday, 5/23.

Find some more Fragments over at Half-past Kissin' Time or link up yours.

9 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Well, I couldn't wait to see what you learned this week! (I can't believe there are people who have never eaten sauerkraut!)

My reading went from the troubling to the side-splitting. I just finished Free Range Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-MacPhee, which is made up of essays about knitters, knitting, yarn shops, people who assume you're having a baby if you knit booties, and other strange stuff.

Mel Fraase said...

I saw a TLC show once about synesthesia, it was really interesting. Sounds like a good book!

I like the idea of the cat sanctuary, but I'd be WAY to allergic to work there!!!

My hubby loves sauerkraut, I absolutely do not!

mommytoalot said...

Not a fan of sauerkraut, we never have it in the house.

We have a local cat shelter but not that many cats are there. It's at our mall and people can go in and pet them. It's really neat..full of sofas and little hiding spots for the cats.

Kay said...

i never knew that food gets comments, but here i am about to state that i loe sourkraut! so strange!

the flag idea would be nice, but i have to agree with you about it.

i actually knew about mary, hubby is a huge history nut and we have watched many documentaries about it all. i still want to take the train downtown to the ford's theatre.

BeadedTail said...

My dream is to have an animal sanctuary like that!

I never thought about women being hanged before. I hadn't head about Synesthesia before either so I learned something new this week too!

Peggy said...

Thanks Karen and Gerard for your visit of comfort in loss of my Bravo.
13 yrs.is a good long life and I enJOYed him every moment. It's just me and of course, the other dogs (so not a family loss just mine). Bravo has been my companion in Mexico and I'm so thankful for the many years we were together. It's a week today. And it all happened in one day so I'm glad he did not suffer.

Sorry it's been so long since I visited. How you get many comments this month...always a good cause!

May God bless you.
Peggy

Marg said...

That sure is lots of interesting stuff. Love the video of the cat and dog place. That is amazing.
Hope you have a super week end.

Mrs4444 said...

I love that you're always learning, Karen :)

I have a friend who volunteers at a local cat rescue place that has more than 100 cats. She changes litter two hours per week. Now that's what I call selfless!

Mrs4444 said...

I love that you're always learning, Karen :)

I have a friend who volunteers at a local cat rescue place that has more than 100 cats. She changes litter two hours per week. Now that's what I call selfless!

Post a Comment