Friday, May 6, 2011

8 Things We Learned This Week 18 of 2011 (poll, garbage, blogging, shopping, zoo, cleaning)


Easter Hymns

According to you poll, there is a tie for the favorite Easter hymn between "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Christ The Lord Is Risen Today."

New Dryer

When hhgregg came last Saturday to hook up our new electric dryer, they said we needed to get a gas one. I saw that gas line connected to it but we also plug it into the outlet too. I didn't know what it was and now I do. Went back to order the gas one instead (which was $87 more).

Garbage

After posting The Morning Stomp over at "My Funny Dad, Harry" I am surprised to learn that others do not compact their boxes by stomping on them. Some tear them, fold them or cut them but no one else stomps them--yet. Do you?

Choose Your Charity

For the month of May, the two people who leave the most comments on Red Pine Mountain blog will have a 25.00 donation made in their name to the charity of their choice. I wonder what she'll do if there's a tie.

Cleaning Fun


Over at Modern Mom's post, Clear Away Cobwebs I learned a fun way to clean away those high cobwebs, or low ones too for that matter with a tennis ball! Attach a dust cloth with rubberbands to a tennis ball and throw it at the cobweb! Makes you want to clean now, doesn't it?

Arcsoft Photo Impression

When installing my photo scanner, I discovered that the software can edit photos and I can make photos for my blog at a low resolution which causes them to load much faster!  I think it only works though when I load in new ones, not on ones already on my computer. 

Cinco de Mayo


I kept seeing "Cinco de Mayo" on different blogs but had no idea what it meant or was about. Now, thanks to Mike at "Live Life 365," I learned that it means May 5 and it about celebrating Mexico's victory in a battle in 1862. I guess you celebrate by eating Mexican food that day. Be sure to stop by Mike's blog if you want to see how to make salsa, Guacamole or enchiladas.

Elephant Crossing

Willy

Yippee! The elephants are back on display at the Cleveland Zoo in their brand new 5-acre exhibit, including a couple new ones: Shenga and Willy, an 11-foot tall bull elephant. The biggest we ever had. Gerard and I look forward to going this weekend.

Visit Half-Past Kissin' Time to find more Friday Fragments.

6 comments:

Steve from Dog Training Loki said...

I loled at the cinco de mayo one for I too don't really know what it is, even though I constantly hear it from my friends.
Guess I was just too embarassed and don't want to look uninformed that's why I didn't bother to ask!

It's nice to have a good read like this once in a while, thanks guys!

Regards,
Steve

BeadedTail said...

So many varied things this week! We're not box stompers either. We just open it up on both ends and it lays flat so no need to stomp. Glad you were able to get the right dryer even though it cost more. The tennis ball idea sounds great although I think I'd have 3 furkids wanting to play! Glad you found out what Cinco de Mayo is!

Ann in the UP said...

I laughed out loud at the cobweb removal idea. I'd be sweeping up a lot of other destroyed stuff. One way to dejunk, I guess.

I read yesterday that Cinco de Mayo isn't celebrated in Mexico, it originated in California as an excuse to eat Mexican food. Who needs an excuse? Funny world, huh?

Daisy said...

We just unseal our boxes and flatten them out (they have to go in our recycling bin).

We finally got brave and switched to Firefox 4 and moved the tabs back where they belong, too!

Mrs4444 said...

Not a stomper--I find I just have to have them neatly folded, oddly enough (because I'm not very neat, otherwise).

I checked out Red Pine Mountain and liked it very much. Thank you :)

Enjoy your zoo visit AND your new dryer :)

The Silver Age Sara said...

Hi Karen,

Thanks for mentioning my site. If there's a tie, I'll honor that certainly.

We cut and fold our boxes and take them to the recycling center. They are very particular in the way they want boxes.

Love the idea of the tennis balls and the cobwebs but with my luck, I'd probably hit myself in the head.

Hope you get your dryer up and running and sorry you had to pay more.

Love your Friday posts.

Post a Comment