Friday, May 27, 2011

6 Things We Learned This Week 21 of 2011 (marriage, eating, blogging, TV)


Husbands and Wives

Sunday, the sermon was on "What Women Want" and the answer is love. Our Pastor then gave some very practical examples of specific things husbands can do that show love to their wives. I posted my sermon notes over at "Advice For Husbands: What Women Want" "Always Looking Up."

Link Management

At Tentbloggers, I learned from his post "Become A Master Link Artist" that value given to blogs I link to is based on how many other links I have on my page. The more links I have, the less value. However, there is a code I can insert right before the href: "rel="nofollow" href".

Photography

Ratty shared a photo tip for taking animals in his I Met A Little Chipmunk post:
Always stay calm, and move slowly. Stop if they see you or are looking in your direction. This works for all the little critters, and most of the big ones.
One of the things I learned from Pioneer Woman's Ten Things I've Learned About Food Photography is that action with food makes the picture more interesting.  I really found this post quite interesting and helpful. 

Minnesota

In talking with Kraig who used to live in Minnesota, I learned that it gets over 100 degrees there in the summertime. I always thought of Minnesota as being a cold state. It is colder than Cleveland in the winter but I didn't realize it was warmer than Cleveland in the summer!

Healthy Eating

According to my United Healthcare online coach, I should eat at least 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day! I only have about half that and that's on a good day! Oops. I'm lucky if I get in 5 a day!  For more, check out my "No Wonder Japan Has Only A 3% Obesity Rate."

TV Shows

Manny when he first came.

We found a funny cat show on Animal Planet that I wrote about over on my other blog: My Cat From Hell Is Entertaining And Educational! Have you seen this? Sparkle, The Designer Cat's mom actually got to meet Jackson Galaxy, the host of the show!

I was glad Irene was voted in as the third finalist on "The Biggest Loser" and happy that Olivia was "The Biggest Loser."  I also thought it was neat that Deni was the biggest loser of those at home since she was in her 50s, one of the older contestants.  The women dominated this season!


Now go find some more Friday Fragments at Half-Past Kissin' Time.

12 comments:

Daisy said...

We love My Cat From Hell! Jackson Galaxy is cool.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Nice things this week. I knew about the Page Rank and "nofollow" linking, as it's a topic of discussion amongst professional bloggers. The results are really inconclusive, apparently. Google keeps changing their system of ranking, and they don't disclose their secret formula, so everything is really just guesswork, in my opinion. After a few years in exasperation, many of us threw up out hands and link to whomever we like (me included). However, for "big" sites like Wikipedia and news media sites, I do use the "nofollow."

I think Laura Ingalls Wilder describes the crazy Minnesota weather in one of her books. I never liked Minnesota for that reason!

And yes, I think the health problem in the US is largely from poor diet. We eat mostly red meat and processed food, and nearly everything has sugar or corn syrup in it! I just wish fresh food wasn't so expensive!

BeadedTail said...

So many interesting things you learned this week! I think everybody wants love but as women know, if their husbands show them love then they show love in return and everyone is happy!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I'm barely eating nine servings of fruit and veggies in a week...

Unknown said...

You've had quite a week ... interesting stuff :-)

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Wow, although that was only 6 things it's still SO MUCH. I'm tired so the only thing I can wrap my mind around is the facts about Minnesota. I'm in your boat, I knew it got cold but I had no idea how hot it got.

I'm so far from the 9 servings rule. I need to make it more of a priority.

I hope you're having a great weekend. Here from FF.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Interesting Karen. I'm headed off to follow the links you posted. Thanks for sharing all you've learned with us.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I don't live in MN but have been there a lot. They have two seasons- winter and too hot with mosquitoes.

Karen and Gerard said...

Daisy: I wonder why it wasn't on Saturday. Hope it's not canceled!

Rebecca: I don't worry about SEO stuff or page rank so I link as often and to whomever I want anyway. I agree, fresh vegetables and fruit are way expensive.

Beaded Tail: True.

Ellen: I bet most people are in that boat with you! We are.

Traci: We won't be moving to Minnesota--that much I know. I bought some bananas, strawberries and clementine oranges this week. Last week we had raspberries and blackberries and bananas. My salad usually lasts me four days.

Mountain Woman: Thanks for visiting us and taking time to comment and follow our links. Your chicks are very cute!

Sharbytes: Eww, hate those nasty mosquitoes! Not a fan of MN.

Anonymous said...

THX for sharing

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: Just right points?I would be aware that as anyone who in reality doesnt write on blogs a lot (in fact, this can be my first submit), I dont assume the time period lurker is very turning into to a non-posting reader. Its no longer your fault in the least , however possibly the blogosphere may come up with a better, non-creepy title for the 90% folks that experience studying the content material .

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: I have got one idea for your website. It seems like at this time there are a few cascading stylesheet issues while opening a number of web pages in google chrome as well as firefox. It is running fine in internet explorer. Perhaps you can double check this.

Post a Comment