Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Where To Live?

When we were first married we lived in Gerard’s house in a small suburb. I remember how impressed I was the first time I went over there before we were married. His yard was very tidy, trimmed nicely and he had beautiful roses. His favorite was the peace rose. He said he used to bring roses to the bank tellers. Inside his house was very neat and clean. Nothing was every out of place and he had a big adorable, floppy, stuffed dog named Patch Dog. He also had a big dog named Fletcher who lived next door and barked a lot.

When we first moved in, we both slept in his single bed. His nephews helped move my double bed over shortly after we returned from our honeymoon. His house was old and the bathroom and bedrooms were all upstairs. This was something I didn’t like. The bus route was not convenient there either so to get to work, I drove to my dad’s and got the bus from his house.

We only lived there a month before moving into a house we both liked and purchased together. I never would have felt that his house was mine and he would never have been able to feel like my place was his. I truly believe this was a very smart move on our part, to buy a house together that we could look on as ours. We’ve made a lot of improvements to it in 12 years, but we still like it and hope we don’t have to move again. This is how our house looked when we first bought it--old drive and sidewalk, tree in front, lilac bush which have both been removed and we put in a new drive and sidewalk shortly after moving in.

Where did you live when you were first married? Are you still there?

(Having my surgery today, please pray all goes well.)

7 comments:

Daisy said...

I think buying a house together once you were married was a good move! My mom & dad didn't buy their first house until they had been married for a few years.

Sandee said...

Hubby and I first lived in my house but after a few years we too bought a house that was ours. We are still here.

Prayers in progress for your surgery today. :)

Jude said...

Praying for your surgery and recovery.

DayPhoto said...

Praying for a fast recovery and everything ends well!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Tina @ The Zoo Crew said...

My husband and I still live in the house he was renting from his sister when we met. However, we own it now, and it is by no means the same house. There is/was a bit of a sore spot though. Our agreement was five years here, then we were to move to the country. Well, 12+ years later we are still here. It will likely be another year or two before we see the country out our window, but I am still looking forward to the move.

Praise God that your surgery went well!

Homestay Mama said...

When my ex and I were first married we lived in an apartment. Eventually we bought our first house together. After 31 years, I'm still here, but my ex is long gone!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Daisy: We're glad to have bought a home we could both call "ours." Fortunately, we had enough for a downpayment so could do it. Many couples just don't have that.

Sandee: Thanks for your prayers. That's nice you are still in your first home you bought together.

Jude, Day Photo: Thanks so much for your prayers!

Tina: At least you own the house and have changed it like you want. Good luck on that move to the country! Time sure flies by fast!

Homestay Mama: Sorry to hear your marriage didn't work out but nice he let you have the house. Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement!

Post a Comment