Friday, September 18, 2009

4 Things I Learned This Week--Part 37


Cleveland Zoo


Through Twitter I learned the Red Panda Triplets were born at the Cleveland Metropark Zoo! Red Panda's are SO cute! I must go see these soon!

Kitchen Safety


I got an email from a friend this week about how to put out a common kitchen fire--oil in a frying pan. DO NOT EVER DUMP WATER ON IT--it will explode! Just turn off the burner, wet a dishtowel and lay in on top over the pan until the fire goes out. Do not attempt to remove the pan first. Here's the video clip worth watching--only 30 seconds!

Work--Not Yet


After returning to work this week after having surgery Sept.1, I found out I wasn't ready after all and will take all the time recommended by the doctor. My advice to anyone under a doctor's care, just take the time he says it will take to heal before going back to work as long as your employer is okay with that.

Poodles


While reading Raining Cats and Dogs by Laurien Berenson, I learned that there are different size poodles and that they are very smart. The Standard Poodle is the biggest, isn't yappy and can be very good therapy dogs. I always associated Poodles as being yappy little dogs. Poodle owners are very attached to the breed.

For more "Friday Fragments" click here.

11 comments:

Daisy said...

My Mommeh had a poodle when she was growing up. They really are very smart doggies! And they do not shed very much, either.

Sara Elizabeth said...

Red Panda's are adorable!

Oil fires are scary. I have heard the same things about putting them out. Water and oil do not mix, especially hot oil.

We had a standard poodle growing up named Annie. She was beautiful, kind, smart, and loyal. She was lovely.

Kathy said...

I'm glad you're taking time to heal properly now. Good girl!

That video was scary. I wasn't expecting to see the woman at the end. She made her point. Luckily we haven't had any kitchen mishaps. Mostly because we don't cook a whole lot. But still good advice to remember.

Caution/Lisa said...

Years ago, after having one of my kids, the doctor was trying to give me more pain meds and more time off. I thought I felt great and wouldn't need it, but she said, "After you get home, you'll find out that I'm right, so listen to me!" She was right.

Hope you heal completely.

DayPhoto said...

I'm glad you are taking the time. Healing is an emotional, physical and mental thing. You are trying to do ALL of them at once.

Please rest!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Claudya Martinez said...

My mother had two miniature poodles and they are so unbelievably smart and wonderful.

Take all the time you need to recover; it's just not worth it to cut the time short if you are not feeling well.

Unknown said...

I didn't even know there was such a thing as red pandas! How cute!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Awww! Red Pandas are cute!

That video was sobering - especially with the woman at the end...definitely good advice!

Glad you're following your doctor's advice and are taking more time to allow yourself to heal. Work will still be there, you need to think of you and your health first. :)

I didn't know that about poodles - sometimes people think our Wheaten Terrier is a big poodle, especially when his fur get longish and he gets wet...he gets curly. :)

Happy FF! :) Wishing you a speedy and fully recovery! :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

Good video - although I was kind of confused that they tag line said "Fire Kills" right next to the woman who was clearly alive. It should have said - Fire disfigures, maims, or something like that. I'm being very picky when the video was very good and one I won't forget in an emergency.

Kristin - The Goat.

Mrs4444 said...

Those poodle facts sound exactly right. I cannot stand yapping poodles, seriously.

I once forgot about heating oil for popcorn on the stove. When I remembered, it was HOT and a little smokey. I picked up the pot and set it on the deck outside (it was winter). Stupid me, I took the lid off, and suddenly, four feet of flame shot straight up in the air from the pot. I was SO lucky I wasn't leaning over it at the time. That video is a good reminder.

The Silver Age Sara said...

The pandas are adorable. I made the mistake once of the water on oil but I never will again. Thanks for letting people know about it.
One of my dog trainers loved poodles and thought they were the best dog for people who wanted a well behaved, easy to train dog.
Glad you're getting time off from work to rest.

Post a Comment