Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Football Rules Are Goofy!

I am glad football season is starting again and enjoyed watching the OSU-Navy game with Gerard on Saturday. Of course, we were cheering for Ohio State and were happy they won. What I don't get though is how college football and pro football have some different rules. For example, on the one play when Navy was going for a 2 pt. conversion, the Buckeyes intercepted the pass and ran the whole length of the field to score . . . what I expected would be 6 points for a touchdown but they only got 2 points because it was a 2 pt. conversion play. This seems very unfair to me. If a guy runs the whole length of the field to the end zone, it should be a touchdown in my book.

That guy did a lot of running for just two points, but okay, can understand that. Gerard explained to me that in the NFL, if a pass is intercepted on a 2 pt. conversion play, the ball is dead, play over and the intercepting team does not get to score on it so 2 points is better than none. Humpf! Why the difference in the rules?

Then another strange thing occurred after the play. Instead of the Buckeyes kicking off to Navy, Navy kicked off to the Buckeyes. I thought after a team scored they would kick off to the other team. Usually that's what happens. When I questioned this, Gerard just looked at me like I was nuts. I didn't think it was a dumb question at all. In every other game I saw the scoring team kicked off to the other team. Football sure has some goofy rules.

What are some other rule differences? I'm sure there are others. What about the celebration rule?

For my other football post, see "Fall Means Football"

4 comments:

Grampy said...

Sports is not what it use to be. The rules are always changing. I won't give you my peeves here.Have a good day.

Daisy said...

I'm glad we only watch NFL football or I would get too confused. Go, Dolphins!

The Bumbles said...

Yup - College FB rules are a bit off. I hate that with a tie at the end of regulation it is not the first team to score that wins but rather it just keeps going forever - with the other team getting a shot to even it right back up again. I know that method seems more fair, but I like sudden death and then be done with it. The victories are more enjoyable that way. In college you celebrate an overtime victory only if the other team fails, not when your team succeeds. Gotta go - about to start my first ever Fantasy FB draft!!!

Karen & Gerard Zemek said...

Grampy: I'd like to hear your sports peeves.

Daisy: Hope your Dolphins have a decent season!

Bumbles: Good luck with your Fantasy Football! We never did that but do enjoy participating in our office football pool where we try to pick to winners. It sounds easy, but it's not because of the points. Teams have to beat the point spread.

Post a Comment