Friday, July 27, 2012

7 Things We Learned This Week (Olympics, Tips, Soldiers, Eagle, Shopping, Animals)


Friday Fragments is hosted my Half-Past Kissin' Time for bloggers to post a list of short things on their minds that aren't really enough for a whole post. Here we go:
  1. Olympics

    For the first time in the history of the Olympics, our USA teams have more female athletes than males!
  2. Soldiers and Suicide

    According to the June 23, 2012 issue of TIME, "More U.S. soldiers have killed themselves than have died in the Afghan war." "Every day, one U.S. soldier commits suicide." This is so sad.
  3. Eagles

    Over at Jodi's Journey I learned some interesting facts about the eagle. I knew they fly above storms but didn't know that they can live to be 70 BUT to do so, in its 40s, it goes through a painful process of change that lasts 150 days. It loses its beak, talons and feathers and wait for them to grow back and lives another 30 years or so.
  4. Household Tips

    Over at The Modern Mom I found Some Things You Never Thought Of that are helpful tips. The one I plan to try next I have to put keys or dog tags on a ring is to use a staple remover to hold it open instead of my nails. Another tip I'm going to try is using a microfiber cloth to prevent frost from forming on the windshield (if I can still remember by then). She gave several other great tips too--definitely worth checking them out!
  5. Funny--Shopping Math

    See this video for how to shop for free that I found at Marythekaytheblog:
  6. Animals

    Persian Onagar
    We saw a new animal at the Cleveland zoo yesterday--a Persian Onager. It's a fast wild horse, also referred to as a Persian donkey. It grows thick fur to adopt to cold weather and is fast.

    How to walk a possum

    We also found out that a possum's tail is muscle and it's fur feels like a dog's. I got to pet a possum named Pearl and an armadillo named Monte at the zoo yesterday when we went to eat breakfast with the animals. The volunteer held the possum's tail when she put her down on the table or the ground to walk around.
  7. Pet Olympics Begin Today

    There are over 130 pets involved in this, including our three (Spunky Doodle, Manny Boy and Abby) to a small extent. Here is the schedule of events you may like to see for the weekend:
    FRIDAY, JULY 27
    Opening Extravaganza ~ http://www.roosdoins.com/
    Parade of Athletes ~ http://posiedorg.blogspot.com/
    Welcoming Speech ~ http://frankiefurterprice.blogspot.com
    SATURDAY, JULY 28
    Swimming ~ http://sargespeaksout.blogspot.com/
    Window Nose Art ~ http://jazzis-world.blogspot.com/

    SUNDAY, JULY 29
    Crazy Sleeping Singles ~ http://oskarsblog.com/ and Synchronized Snoozing  
    Bouncing http://bouncingbertie.blogspot.co/uk
Please note I may not visit your blog as often as usual because I will be spending time supporting the pet Olympics in Blogland. These bloggers who are hosting the events have put in lots and lots of work to make this happen and so I hope you will support their efforts too by checking out these special events with all the pets.

(We are donating 50 cents for each legitimate comment we receive on all our blogs during June and July to The Wounded Warrior Project which helps wounded warriors and their families returning from current conflicts.)

Share this:

7 comments:

Lin said...

I happen to like opossum--I like their faces and their little pink "hands". That's nice that you pet him!

Sad about the soldiers. Can't we help them more?

Actingbalanced said...

Yay for women athletes and pet Olympics!

I met someone yesterday who volunteers with a great organization that helps returning troops with nutrition and other services... but the name is escaping me now... but we definitely need more support services for returning military personnel.

Wayne W Smith said...

That is an amazing video. I think I may show that great example of spurious logic to me freshmen class.

Ann in the UP said...

I don't expect to ever get fonder of possums, but I think the pet olympics looks pretty interesting!

Let's hear it for all the athletes, and our soldiers, too. Those statistics are very alarming to me!

The Lovely One said...

That is so sad about the soldiers committing suicide. I had no idea. The wounded warriors project is a great organization! We just did a fundraiser at work to raise money for them!

Mr Puddy said...

I wanna walk POSSUM !!!!!
I like it's tail...like a mousie's tail...look pawsome fun for me : )

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Thank you so much for your complimentary comment on our synchronized sleeping entry. With all the horrible heat here, we seem to be doing a lot of snoozing lately.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Post a Comment