Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yikes! I Didn't Send That!


Monday when I looked at my email messaged before starting work, I had several from some of my blogging friends who follow me on Twitter asking if I sent a certain offensive message. Some knew me well enough to know I would NEVER EVER send such a message and informed me that someone must have hacked my Twitter account. It made me feel good to know that these online blogging buddies knew me well enough to know that that message did not really come from me.

I immediately went to Twitter and posted a Tweet apologizing to my followers and also changed my password pronto! I couldn't do it fast enough! How did this happen? Basically because the day before I clicked a link of a message I had received from a blogging friend who also must have been hacked. If you get a message that looks fishy, trust me, it probably is! I normally don't click on those and don't know what possessed me to this time. I did feel better though when I read "Beware The Twitter Phishing Scam" at Freaky Frugalite this morning and saw even Rebecca goofs up sometimes.

This is an extra hassle I really don't need. I will try to be more careful in the future but if it happens again, I'll probably just terminate my account. It's not worth the aggravation. Here I was considering "Make Money With Twitter" that I read about at "Jodi's Journey: This Program Really Works For Me." I'm just thinking maybe it's time to make life simpler again and cut way back on my computer use.

Thanks to Tom, Melissa and Lucky Lady who told me about this and had faith in me!

Tweet This

Tweet Me from Karen & Gerard Zemek

8 comments:

Daisy said...

Gosh, you are just about the very last person who I would ever imagine sending an offensive message. That is very scairty! I don't have time to even use Twitter any more. I have it set up to auto-post a link to my last blog post, but that's all I ever do there now. Maybe I should consider closing my Twitter account, just in case!

John B said...

Thanks for the heads up on this latest phishing expedition. I was on FB last weekend and received an IM from a friend. "She" claimed to be in London, just mugged and needed me to Paypal her some "help". I asked "her" a question, she didn't know the answer and promptly jumped offline. I sent out a message to everyone to please alert her that she had been hacked.

I'm with you, sometimes I wonder if it's worth the headaches... :)

Sandee said...

I'm really getting tired of this type of thing. I refuse to join any more social networks and this is the reason why. I even deactivated my FB account. Get a life people.

Have a terrific day. :)

BeadedTail said...

I hope it doesn't happen to you again. I knew you wouldn't send something like that and it's just awful that people out there hack into accounts for stuff like that.

Nikita Cat said...

Daddy & I have only just encountered you, and begun to explore your blog.

We Like very much, and am glad you like me, too!

This Twitter Spam thing is very annoying, but it doesn't take very long to determine that new found friends are not the problem.

As a Cat, and a Human ( Daddy is at http://www.madmacedonian.com ), who blog about writing, poetry, writing prompts, and even books, from time to time, Daddy & I are finding you, and some of the links in your sidebar, of great interest!

Anonymous said...

Close call!

Glad everything's ok.

The Ludwigs said...

Ugh, I hate that kind of thing - it's even worse when the hack is some kind of virus and it gets sent to all your friends, who then have the virus, too... I always feel guilty even if I didn't do anything! I *never* open emails that look fishy, so I've probably deleted valid messages in the mix, but better safe than sorry.

I'm checking out your "free kibble" button above - I want one for my blog!

Mrs4444 said...

You're the second fragmenter to whom this happened this week! Better go check mine!!

Post a Comment